Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are there preamps smaller than 19" units?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, May 2, 2002.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    First: I don't want to talk about those small outboard preamps which make an passive instrument active.

I'm looking for something with DI-out, FX-loop, maybe even a footswitchable 2nd channel because I want to try a new approach for those gigs were a bass amp is provided:
    I don't want to mess around with preamps I don't know or I don't like, I want to bring 'my sound' and just plug into the poweramp-section of the given amp and into the PA.
    But I don't want to lug around a rack, I need something which fits into a backpack.

So far I thought about the SansAmp BDDI (which I would combine with an EQ-pedal) or the MXR M-80.

Are there other options?

Sorry for being a bit lengthy...

Matthias

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    The sadowsky out board preamp.

3. Raven Labs PMB-1 is also a good pre-amp with plenty of control over your sound.

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    this looks like it was just what I'm looking for, thanks!
    (for those who are interested as well:
    Raven Labs products

any other recommendations?

Matthias

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, i use the RL PMB-1, and its more a blender box for two separate sources. i actually use mine for acoustic g*****'s pickups.

RL makes other fine choices so check the site and do your research carefully.

if you want some good tone but still flexible, try the tubey Eden WT400 or solid state EA iAMP350. both are 15 lbs. and have outs for all your needs. they also can run as preamps only but also have mosfet power sections that'll run 400 or 350 watts respectively.

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Avalon's U5 DI is much smaller than 19". Bass Player Magazine said it's an excellent hi-fi preamp.