Are there specific bass wah pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassguitar, Jul 19, 2005.

1. And if so, what might you recommend?

I've got an ME50B but I only use about 2 sounds, so I'm thinking about selling it and getting a wah, but I'm not sure what to go with.
  2. Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    there are a few specific bass wahs, around,

id try the

dunlop 105q

and the

morley dual bass wah

most people go with the dunlop 105Q
  3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I prefer the Morley Dual Bass Wah. It just seems better, as I use wah in more of a funky manner, than the metal manner that many people use the Dunlop.
  4. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    +1 for the Morley.
    I never take it off of the 'Funk Wah' setting.
  5. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Snarling Dogs makes a nice bass wah also
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I've never tried the Morley, but I have a 105Q and I love it.

1. Auto Return. I never have to worry about slamming my pedal down to turn it off because a spring pushes it back with my foot off.
    2. Has a volume knob on the side (very small.)
    3. Has Q setting. You can make it slight wahing or over the top wahing.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Morley has these features too.

The funk wah basically changes the Q settings.

Totally different monsters, don't take anyone's word. TRY BOTH.
  8. has anyone found with their crybaby that active pups overload it?

I want one, but trying it out with my Stingray the other day it sucked. Had to turn down to half volume before the signal cleaned up.
  9. The Dunlop 105Q works great. I haven't used a morley though. The 105Q puts the sweep in the right place for bass and doesn't seem to degrade your signal.

FWIW it has a unique and awesome affect on a gu!+@r signal.
  10. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i used to own a Dunlop 105Q for a while and my bass is active, and i never had any problems with both knobs maxed out at all times. no clue whats going on with your setup
  11. No sir, has worked just fine with my basses with EMG's, hell it even sounds nice with my acoustic bass!
  12. thing is, it's not just my setup. Have tried maybe three different crybabys with many active basses and they all do the same thing.

You guys got active humbuckers or single coils?
  13. What about an older Dunlop GCB100?
  14. Check out the Teese RMC wahs as well, ive never used one, but the guys down at bass northwest seem to swear by them... geoffrey makes a few pedals, with various adjustable characteristics, and they all sound good.

Personally I use a vintage Jen italian wah with the red fasel inductor... it sounds really good, except a little bit of the bottom end gets sucked out and i havent put true bypass on it yet... but.. i dig it.
  15. The EBS bassic IQ gives a nice wah wah sound. :bassist:
  16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  17. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I owned one for about 6 months, and I totally agree, it has some sweet tones. Was too expensive to use for one song every 8 gigs, though. If money was no object or I used wah for about 20% of my songs, I would buy it again.

I've tried Snarling Dogs, Morley, Dunlop (three different versions), Vox (modded for bass), Tech 21, and Boss - and the Earthquake was far and away the best of the group to my ears. I settled for the 105Q because of cost differential.
  18. the 105Q, I don't know how bad it is. But the 535Q I tried didn't seem to with a hot signal from a StingRay...

I dunno what you've got going on.

EDIT: Dirty pots, maybe?
    Try cleaning out the contacts and spray some of the cleaner into the little slit underneath the contacts (So it goes in the pot) and spin it around a bunch of times and let it dry, then see what happens.
  19. here's a +1 for the 105q, i've also owned 2 Snarling dogs Bawl Buster Bass wahs, personally i felt they looked cooler than they sounded, im not saying they were bad, but they looked REALLY COOL. however, the status LEDs are under your foot, on the treadle, and the switch could be a little tough to switch (im not a big guy and literally had to balance on it with one foot to get enough weight to switch it sometimes) so you wouldnt know if it was off or not, till you've taken your foot off.

heres some plus points to the 105q (some of which have been mentioned)

1. (not neccessarily a plus to everyone) auto return - the wah is sprung, so it hugs your foot, so you only ever need to push down. However you cant rest the wah in a position because of this unless you have your foot on it.

2. Auto-off - the wah automatically switches off once you take your foot off, which can be every usefull if your using it with a fuzz or something that you also need to turn off at the same time, and also its just generally less hassle.
    Some people note that there is an unpleasant delay between you taking your foot off the wah, and the actual wah switching off, HOWEVER there is a trim pot inside the pedal that can vary this from something like 2 seconds to instant, i dont know why they made this an option, because i would assume that most people would want an instant bypass once they take their foot off, but the option is there.

3. Blend - one of the things that make the 105q work so well as a bass wah is that it actually splits you signal and runs a percentage through the wah and percentage runs through clean, so you should always have some clean lowend, regardless of Q-setting. Although this isnt to say that it sounds like a half-assed wah, it sounds wet and funky.

4. volume - always useful, regardless of what pedal it is, you should always be given the option of a volume control

5 Q - controls the frequencies effected, have a play and find what you like.

now this isnt a sales pitch (coz im not selling) but for the price you get alot of features.