1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are there strings you actually dislike?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkyYeti, Mar 31, 2020.

1. FunkyYeti

FunkyYeti Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2019
    I've been trying out different strings since the beginning of the year and while I certainly like some better than others, I don't actually dislike any of them (except maybe for La Bella 0760M's .110 string, which I never managed to intonate properly). Are there strings you actually dislike?

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I’m in the minority, but I don’t like D’Addario Chromes.

3. uwrossl

uwrossl

Nov 13, 2009
    Huntington Beach
    I'm in the minority too. Chromes have been the only string I've come across that I dislike.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Flatwounds

5. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Yes. Anything other than D'Addario ProSteels.

ChrisBowsman likes this.
  6. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I played Roto Swings exclusively through the 80’s into the early 90’s until I started getting “duds” every few sets. That caused me to dislike them.

7. I dislike anything other than 40-100 nickel round wounds.

8. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Round wounds of any kind and Aquila Thundergut for bass ukulele which are too sticky and will sausage after a while, but I have them on three of my bass ukes because I don't play them that often.

9. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yes.

Rotosounds and those awful Hartke bass strings.

And stainless steel strings in general.

Passinwind and Jazz Ad like this.
  10. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Not big on Fender or D’addario rounds which I guess makes sense as I believe D’addario makes Fender’s strings for them. For rounds, I’ve had best results with GHS Boomers, EB Slinky’s, and believe it or not, the cheap-arsed L&M house brand strings.

Don’t much care for black tapewounds either. Too dull.

Ks68jazz, dkelley and miljoneir like this.
  11. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    These days I don't like the sound or feel of any Steel strings. To much finger noise. Not brand specific. I have been in love with Labella flat and tape wound. But. I also love Ken Smith slick wounds once the sticky feel wears away.

12. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I have a couple of friends who love Ernie Ball, but I’ve tried flats and rounds with no luck. Not much for Chromes, either.

13. Hate Roundwounds,"Used to love'em now I had to leave'em":bassist:...

Its Flatwounds all the way for me!:cool::thumbsup:

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Warwick Red Labels. Playing these is just asking for trouble. Might as well string up a cheese grater for better feel.

Ernie Ball Slinkies. The sound didn't do it for me at all.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ken Smith Compressors. I tried them maybe 10-15 years ago and remember absolutely hating them. They were coarse, stiff, and the tone was too twangy and nasal. Plus, one of the strings completely unraveled on me during a re-string. I said "never again" to those strings and immediately went back to the superior SIT Silencers on that bass after that disaster.

And though there are excellent, high quality strings, I didn't like DR Sunbeams because they felt too spongy for me.

I also recall trying Ritter Swordsteels. The fingerstyle tone was the best fingerstyle tone I'd ever heard, but the slap tone was the most putrid, rancid, clunky piece of hot garbage I'd ever heard. It boggled my mind that an expensive, high quality string could sound heavenly in one context and hellish in another.

EDIT: And I'm also in the camp with the folks who dislike coated strings.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  16. Steve88

Steve88 Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2014
    Macedon, NY
    I've tried stainless steel strings a few times and haven't cared for them. They sound very "clicky clacky", for lack of better words.

DR black beauties were also pretty uninspring.

thabassmon likes this.
  17. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Been using GHS Precision flats for 30? years. Every bass I obtain comes with roundwounds. I take them off quick, don't like the feel or the finger and fret noise. I do like the sound though. I could try other flats, then my answer would be more useful

18. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Rock 'n' Roll Knuckle Dragger Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    GHS Boomers. It’s been a very long time since I tried them though, so maybe don’t take my opinion on them overly seriously. I’ve been super happy with DRs for years so I never felt the need to give Boomers another shot.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  19. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    Rotosounds. I've never bought a set that weren't dead and felt like razor wire. The tension blows, too. Imo, of course.

cool breeze and John Webb like this.
  20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Basically anything that isn’t DR Black Beauties. They’ve been my go-to strings for many years, on many, many different basses.

I’ve tried to like others. But I don’t. Whenever I buy a new bass, it immediately gets restrung with DR BB’s. Sometimes before I even plug it in for the first time.

FugaziBomb, Sandman64 and Gfkfloyd like this.