Are there True alternative to the GK MB 150s...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 11, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm sure that you will get many answers suggesting larger combos or "lightweight head + 112 cab" rigs which are still very portable.

And it's true that there are quite a few small and lightweight solutions which are both louder and cheaper.

But I haven't seen any combo which is as loud as the GK 150MB at this small size. The SWR WM 10 is weaker. I've never heard of Markbass though.

True alternatives weighing not more than 12kg? No.
    Alternatives which you can still carry in one hand? Yes, I'm sure there are quite a few.

3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Acoustic Image Contra has roughly the same power and weight.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the GK used to be the standard for Jazz DBers but I have seen a few recently getting hip to separates and especially EA - although EA have some amazing small combos as well!

But why not get a small head and match it with a small EA cab - these sound much better to me than the GK, which doesn't have enough bass response for my liking.
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i play electric bass 4 strings.

i have a bigger rig (head and cab) and my cab, a 4x10 rated at 8 ohm. i would like a portable combo amp with the feature of a speaker output at 8 ohm.

so i could use the combo with the 4x10 when needed.

GK is at the moment on top of the list for sound, portability and features.

but i am open to suggestions.
  6. tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Mark Bass is an Italian company. It's supposed to be really great stuff. It won't be in the States for another year or so. They are a pretty new company I believe.
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Clarus and a 112 cab. the clarus has more power and is lighter, plus you can throw it over your shoulder/put it in your gig bag.

i also think that while the wm10 isn't that loud, the wm12 rocks really hard. but it IS heavier.
  8. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hmm i have a contra amp and a hevos midget plus cab...
    the weight is around hmm 14-15kg
    but the output power is 200w rms, it´s a two channel sys and the sound is real sweet...

gruesze sebastian
  9. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How do you like the Hevos? I've been looking at them for a while now but have no chance of trying them in the U.S.
  10. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna hevos is great!
    the sound is very can blend the tweeter to it.
    i also had no chance to try the hevos out bevore buying...i think i am one of the first using one here in austria...
    but the support was fine...and they gave me a 14 day trial period!
    so i went for the hevos...and wasn´t disapointed.

gruesze sebastian

ps it´s real small and high quality made! like a brick!