Are there unusual and/or intersting wild animals where you live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Awesome.

2. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Pink dolphins? Very cool.
    Nope I didn't take the pictures mine would not have looked nearly as good.
    I loved hearing about all the animals in the Hong Kong area. This is one of the reasons I like it here on TB so much. I get to learn about places I know very little about.
    Thanks Feral

3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    How would you define "unusual"? Animals are not humans who move to other locations for no good reason. animals generally acclimate to a certain region/climate and adapt over thousands of years (i think thousands) to that part of the world, so by definition they wouldn't be unusual to the area.

It dawned on me while writing the above that you may have meant "unusual in appearance" making my explanation above pointless. I still like what I wrote, so I'm going to leave it. Whichever one is right, just disregard the other paragraph :bag:

4. slobake

Both are right. I like banana slugs but like you say they are not unusual to the area. In fact they are very specialized. On the other hand I have noticed that several people mentioned flocks of wild parrots. That seems unusual. Feel free to post about any animal you like.

5. We’ve got a family of Koala living in the gum trees around the house. There’s an echidna that lives down by the river, we don’t see him much but sometimes he’ll venture out for a stroll. The odd kangaroo.

We used to have a flock of about 300 cockatoo roosting for the night in the tree outside my window. They can make a racket. They moved out and about a bazillion Rainbow Lorikeet took over. Pretty birds, but talk about noise.

There is also a colony of an estimated 80,000 (yep eighty thousand) fruit bats that fly over the house each sunset on the way to their night-time party.

6. I just recently moved to AZ from PA. While not unusual, chameleons and geckos are unusual for me. At night, I have a bunch chilling on my patio. They are really cool!

IMG_20140320_201334-picsay_zpsylqjkedc.jpg

7. I live in Australia so go figure. Two weeks ago we stayed in a beach resort just 30min from town and there were Kangaroos enjoying themselves at the parking lot. They are every where you go. Good thing they are harmless, because that same weekend there was a great white shark attack two kms away from the beach we were snorkeling at. Not fun.

8. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    No pics, but the raccoons where I used to live in Westchester County, NY were unusually large. I'm talking 50+ lbs and not afraid of humans.

I lived in a community of Co-Ops where we had shared dumpsters on the outside of the parking area. The rear of the enclosed dumpsters were natural wooded areas. I worked late nights at the time and would occasionally take the garbage out after I got home, around 3:30am.

One time, sitting atop one of the dumpsters was sitting the largest raccoon I have ever seen. It was like a standoff - he stopped eating and stared at me. Those claws and teeth are sharp and he looked like he wasn't going to choose flight over fight so I tossed the garbage in the adjacent dumpster. He looked at the thrown garbage and then at me. No fear in his eyes at all.

I think it's because they have no natural predators that far south in NY state. All the large, predatory cats (those that are left :( ) are all further north and west in the state. The raccoons are increasingly encroaching on human dwellings, leading to less fear.

I had a medium-large dog at the time (approx 70lbs) and I don't know if she could take out one of those raccoons. :eek:

9. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I grew up in Westchester, we had one in our yard that was a little smaller than a baby bear

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    In the past few years there has been an explosion of geckos around here. I never remember seeing any at all until probably 2004. Now they're just as populous as the anoles we've always had. Both kinds of lizard will often inhabit the same breaker box (I don't know why they love living in those).

11. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    In Texas, we USED to have a lot of Armadillos, Roadrunners, all sorts of Rattle Snakes( copperhead, water mocosan, cottonmouth, diamandback, etc), Jack Rabbits, Peacocks, Buffalo, and such.

We have a lot of imported animals here for safari hunting/food/breeding. We have all sorts of climates here so we can take on alarge number of foreign animals. We have Audads, Zebra, rhinos, and all sorts of little deer critters.

Not sure if yall have ever heard of Vinegaroons or Sun Spiders but weve got them too. Brown Recluse, Black Widow, Scorpions out the yin yang... its a wonder any of us are still alive really.

12. slobake

We have Brown Recluse spiders here too. Nasty critters, you don't want to get bitten by one of those.

13. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    Deer, coyotes, foxes, possums, skunks. That's it besides the rodents like rabbits, woodchucks and squirrels. Bears and feral pigs 50 miles to the north of me.

14. Boom762

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
  15. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Wolverines. Not here in the city (Seattle), but I've seen tracks up in remote parts of the mountains. The Wolverine, as the largest terrestrial member of the weasel family, is a total badazz. I have seen some of it's cousins; Martins, Fischers, and this rather feisty Long Tailed Weasel. (Which didn't want us messing with its prize.)

IMG_1701_zps76521005.jpg

16. Boom762

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    Nah. The pigs are to texas what rats are to new york city. They breed so fast we cant control their numbers and they are destroying all of the farms and game grounds. They are chasing off a lot of the other species and they are dangerous to humans in numbers. We brought them here from russia and they took over because we didnt have a good enough apex system. The helicopters just allow us to go out there and find them quicker to get the job done and the automatics is more of a preference but, when you come across a pack of like 30+ pigs It'll only help get that pack out.

Nearly always, the pigs shot on these ventures are gathered up, butchered, and donated to the nearby communities as food. It really is a good system. Feeding the hungry, saving texas land and land owners, helping the eco system, and having some fun in the process.

17. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    My brother is a wolf.

I started calling him "wolf" a few years ago, now all his friends call him wolf. Even my mother sometimes calls him that.:D:D:D

A transport carrying parakeets had an accidents a few years ago and they got loose. They adapted to the wild life, well most of them anyways, and are making a lot of noise when the local crows feel like having a parakeet dinner.

But, we have cats here. No sir, they are not your ordinary cats.

One of them is as dumb as it gets.

One rams your feet all the time with its giant head for no reason.

One runs after you and grabs your feet while walking. Almost made me kiss the floor once.

One has the cold for 2 years now and sneezes on your face. This girl also walks me to the store, waits for me outside and walks back with me as if it were a dog.

One has the cold, dark eyes of a demon and stares at you untill you get horrified and leave.

One loves to sit right in the middle of the street so that it can make love to a tire of a car, luckily it has been unsuccessfull so far.

There was one which climbed 3 stores high trees only to jump into our balcony to wake us in the middle of the night thinking there's a burglar coming in from the balcony.:p

There's one that is always pregnant. But she's a beautiful cat and if I were a cat I'd hit it.:D

18. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    No, it's not that bad yet but I'd certainly enjoy that hunt. I think ours will stay fewer in number then your Texas ones but from what I understand are 50-100% bigger due to them being different blood lines and natural selection favoring different body builds here. Our's have to contend with bears, foxes and coyotes and dig mass burrows under fallen logs to escape the cold.
    This guy is ready. newdog1.jpg

19. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    Too funny!! Almost sig-worth.:bassist:

Love those descriptions.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021