Are there unusual and/or intersting wild animals where you live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    You should hit it anyway. Yolo.

2. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    I'll be going back to the crazy weird cats in an hour, and they'll be doing all the stuff I wrote.:p

Now, there's an idea. :ninja:

:D

3. slobake

slobake resident ... something

WHERE WAS THAT DOG ON NOVEMBER 22, 1963?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    We used to have Hornytoads here but the invasion of the Fire Ant has all but wiped them out.

We habe armadillos but the only one I've seen that wasn't roadkill was running around on the LBJ ranch in broad daylight. I thought they were nocturnal.

Austin has a whole colony of bats living under the Congress Ave. bridge.

Further south in Texas they have the elusive chupacabra. ;)

On the family farm in central minnesota we had a black squirrel living out in the woods.

5. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Inactive

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    You mean you'd swap me Old Yeller for this here horny toad??

6. Yep. In Vancouver, there is a lot of stupid people. I'm pretty sure everywhere else has them too but I think vancouver takes the cake.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Horny Toad.

img_5562_horned_toad.jpg

8. We have boatloads of parrots down by the shores (CT) WHEN we were kids the word was they came on pirate ships hundreds of years ago, but im pretty sure a few just got lose and started populating

Where I live (north west CT) we have Fisher cats, really creepy looking guys, at night they "scream " its loud and sounds like a woman screaming

9. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm quite jealous of all the awesome animals that y'all get to see! Here in Chicago we only have an overabundance of pigeons and rabbit-sized rats!

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I live in Michigan. Wild animals that I have seen in my yard: Turkey, dears, squirels, skunks, badgers, raccoons, ducks, cardinals, Hummungbirds.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    One of the most exotic creatures I have seen anywhere close to where I live was walking along a street about two miles away. Tall, thin, with flaming red hair, a big purse slung over one shoulder, wearing an extremely short bright blue dress, cowboy boots and over the other shoulder was a Hula Hoop.

If I only had my camera ready.

12. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    My daughter lives in Chicago - I'll agree on your big rats. I stopped in a little b-b-q place to get something for the road and there are signs in the alley about sealed containers due to rats, city ordinance yada-yada. Then I saw one - wow! Body like the world's fattest squirrel.

Rats would never last out here....waaaaay too many falcons and what I believe are eagles. Falcons drop like a rock :ninja:, the twigs tremble for a few seconds, bye-bye bunny, hanging from the claws.:eek:

We have the weirdest rabbits here - shortest legs ever for a rabbit. I miss the long-legged jack rabbits we had were I grew up. Those were cool. Sproing!:hyper:

13. Sorry Slobake, but no you don't. There are no BR in Northern California, nor any part of California.

14. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    Just be lucky you don't have the Predator of insects.
    Sun-Spider-Jaws.jpg

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    We have a GIANT horned owl living in a dead tree up the hill behind the house, and if the skins are any indication, some really impressive rat snakes are hanging out in our old barn.

Every spring I'll get at least one velvet tail rattler (AKA timber rattler) over 7 feet on the back porch. We get all manner of 3~6 foot eastern diamondbacks all through the spring and summer but will only see a few velvet tails and they are always big.

Huge fox squirrels, big possums, bobcats, and the occasional turkey.

16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    There's a guy about a mile from where I live that owns a Camel. In Portland, Oregon. Really close to that place there used to be a bunch of Ostriches in a different guys front yard.

Weird animals that would naturally be here? None that are that interesting really. Just some gnarly looking barn spiders and the occasional Brown Recluse hiding in a pile of wood. Coyotes are weird looking for sure, but not interesting animals. There's tons of water Bison when you go far enough out into hickville, which I wasn't aware of there being water bison in Oregon until a few years ago.

17. edpal

edpal Inactive

Oct 3, 2007
    These guys, Sandhill Cranes...I forgot about them. THEY'RE BACK!!!!! Creepy suckers, about 3-3.5 feet tall. Big beak, wicked red war paint. My dogs will chase deer but stop at the cranes. And their creepy cluckle-cluckle as they hop or fly away. sandhill.jpg

18. Caribou. Those things are ugly. Wild buffalo. Those things are HUGE!

19. Most of the people of LA.

20. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

One used to be able to order this as nigiri at Mobo Sushi in Santa Cruz

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021