1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are these authentic American P Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zephead975, Apr 6, 2009.

1. zephead975

zephead975

Aug 28, 2006
    Hi everyone,

I recently bought these pickups on Ebay and the seller said they came out of a 2008 Fender American P Bass? Can anyone here tell me if these are authentic? They are stamped with the number 04864 on the bottom. I have attached pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Yes. Fender has been using that bobbin for at least 6 years. They call it the "US Vintage" pickup, but as typical for Fender there's nothing "vintage" about it.

3. zephead975

zephead975

Aug 28, 2006
    I noticed that Fender sells original P Bass pickups - Fender Part #0992046000, but they also sell one that is referred to as the '08 American Standard Precision BassĀ® Pickup (Set) - Fender Part #0075593049. My pickup supposedly came out of a 2008 American P Bass, so is there any way to tell for sure which one it is? One thing.....I noticed my wiring does not have braided covering, just vinyl/plastic with black, white, and yellow wires. The seller also did not include the shield if it had one.

Can you elaborate a little on what you said....."as typical for Fender there's nothing "vintage" about it?"?

Thanks

4. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Yours aren't the Originals. They have different bobbins, enamel coated wire (dark auburn color), cloth covered leads, etc. Fender makes a bunch of different P bass pickups in a bunch of different countries. Most non-USA pickups use 5mm (.196") alnico magnets (unless they have ceramic bar magnets on the bottom); the MIA's use 3/16" (.188"). Sometimes the MIA pickups are used in MIM and CIJ basses.

As far as nothing being "vintage"...wrong wire, wrong bobbins, wrong leads; I wouldn't bet on the coils and magnets being the same height either.