Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are these circumstances fair?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Oct 16, 2005.

1. The regular font stuff is background, if lazy, just skip to the italics part.

Hey, I'm a 16 year bassist (duh!) in a band that's been together for almost 2 years now. We have not played a gig yet (much to my chagrin) and are currently trying to get enough material in tip-top shape before we go shopping for gigs. We're a 3 piece that plays Phishy type music (looking for another guitarist/keyboardist).

So here's our problem. Our drummer is always busy. He goes to a very prestigious private high school and his parents don't let him practice with us on the week days. When I talk to him, it seems like he wants to practice, but I think the execution isn't too good.He's also a fairly decent drummer and a pretty cool guy.

However, in the last 4 months (round about) we've had a total of 2 practices. Both practices were pulling teeth and while either me and the guitarist had to cancel 1 practice each (death in the family and work, respectively). These 2, 2 month lastly binges of no practice have been in the most part his fault. I'm willing to give him 1 more chance because none of us drive quite yet, so it's hard to get over there as well. Also, I feel there's some problems in motivation (though minor) in the guitarist and I (though minor) between the guitarist and I.

So how does this sound, I get my license in about 2 weeks. After that, I will give him 4 weekends (a month) to double his efforts and get us going. If we don't practice once in this period (and it's his fault), the guitarist and I are going to can him and look at these 2 drummer friends, both would be wilder drummer, but probably not quite as solid.

Does this sound fair? Is there a better solution?

Thanks

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yes, there is a better solution.

Be man and let him know that if he doesn't start making practices he's out.

If you don't like his drumming, be a man and give him a chance to make changes if he wants or quit if he wants.

Simple, honest and most importantly, honorable.

Anything less is despicable.

:scowl:

Joe.

P.S. I have been in the last to know situation so I have very strong feelings about it. But if you were going to share your plan with him thus being simple, honest and honorable, good for you. That would be the right thing to do.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The rules for teenage musicians in high school aren't the same as adult musicians trying to make a living. I can't blame the kid's parents for their decisions. School should come first (take it from someone who didn't let it come first). However, he should be able to make more than one or two practices in 4 months. Maybe his heart's not into it like you. I'd sit him down and be honest with him and force him to be honest with you. And don't just take his first response as the truth.

4. Our band is going through a similar situation. We recruited a new drummer about two months ago, and his availability isn't seeming to jive with what he told us when he auditioned. He's a good drummer, still learning our songs, but we've only practiced about four times with him in a three month span (granted, not all of that was his fault...the guitarist and I have both had a couple other commitment come up). We're going to have a frank discussion with him and see if we can work out a schedule everyone can stick to (pick one night a week as a set practice). Frankly I'm getting close to quitting 'cause I'm sick of never practicing, let alone never gigging. It's pretty annoying when you expect to have practice, and then a couple hours before the scheduled time, you get a phone call and find out someone can't make it because they "had to work after all."