Are these decent computer speakers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 17, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I just made a rare impulse buy of these computer speakers.

Logitech X 530

It seemed like a good deal. $38.99 - 5% from a coupon I found on the internet and then free shipping came out to $37.04 shipped.

I've been wanting some kind of replacement for these little mediocre harman/khardon stereo speakers anyway and the price was right.

Little late to ask now but are they any good? I usually research this stuff but it's a one day thing and it's late so I just said "screw it."

brad cook
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I guess they are good for computer speakers - of course nothing hi-fi, but for 40 bucks..

On the other hand, with a $40 gift certificate to a real hi-fi store would end you leaving with a.. piece of cable.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, of course. I know there's difference between, say, good home theater speakers and these things. I'm just looking for something to spice up gaming mainly.

brad cook
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

dude, my PC is ran through my stereo systems surround sound. i just need to get my sub fixed. its like.. 120w.... my mom will hate me.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If the sub costs too much to fix then just trash it and get one of the Dayton Audio subs from Usual price is $125 but it occasionally goes on sale for $100. I use it in my smallish living room for my home theater and it's a great sub for the money. I notice they also have a 100 watt Advent sub for 100 bucks. Not sure if it's any good though. The Dayton Sub consistently gets great reviews.

brad cook
  6. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Those are actually great basic speakers. I had them, but got a cheapo 5.1 system which is nice.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Are you talking to me? The set I'm asking about is 5.1. Logitech X 530. The original link doesn't seem to be working anymore..

Fixed it..

brad cook
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Those sound pretty good, but when I bought my speakers from a few years ago I got jerked around. Took 2 weeks to ship, I wanted them for Christmas and when they didn't show up in time, I bought them locally for $20 more and told that if they'd ship in a timely manner they wouldn't be getting this enormous box back.
  9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Hook it up to a real Home System.
  10. A friend of mine does that. Sounds good too.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't happen to have an extra one of those lying around and I don't know of any good ones that I can purchase for $37 or less but thanks anyway.

brad cook
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I got these speakers yesterday. I haven't had the chance to play games on them yet but here's my intial music listening impression.

To sum it up before the details - For the $37 I paid for them these are an awesome addition to my computer! I can't believe I got them for that deal. I saw them at Sam's Club 3 days ago for $60. If you're looking to upgrade your computer to 5.1 surround and you can still get these for a similar deal I'd jump on it. I think Amazon still has them for $40. Look around for coupons. They can usually be found. They don't sound quite as good for music as my old Boston Acoustic 2.1 setup but again they were cheaper and they're close to that.

Here's some specifics about the sound:

So far I've listened to the following music on these:

Russell Mills/Undark w/ David Sylvian - Rooms of the Sixteen Shimmers - Sounded really pretty nice and rich. Sylvian's voice hits the sweet spot on these speakers/sub

Illy B Eats/Billy Martin - Drop the Needle - This sounded good too. The big drum hits on this were tight and focused (after I made a slight downward adjustment on the sub volume)

Philip Glass - Symphony No. 3 - At first I was not too pleased hearing this piece through these speakers because the rolling upright bass was very boomy through the sub. That gets old fast with those constant UB onstinatos. However, after I turned the sub volume almost all the way down it sounded nice and fairly balanced. The upper register strings aren't as crisp as they would be through my JBL's on my home entertainment system but one of those cost several times more than this whole system. On the whole it sounds quite nice for computer listening. The strings sound good overall.

The Castanets - Good Friend, Yr Hunger - This came right after the Philip Glass and, not surprisingly I had to adjust a little. Going from strings to raw acousticy, garage stuff is quite a change. This sounded really good with a quick tweak though. Sounded like I was right there with it. Great presence demonstrated here.

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die - This is huge layered music that really fills a room with decent speakers. The speakers did well. Tortoise has big constant bass too so I left the sub turned down as in the Philip Glass piece. Keeping the sub turned down seems to be the right move for most music unless you want your computer room to be a throbbing dance club or something. These demoed pretty good presence on this song again with the brushed snare coming through well throughout the song. It still got a little boomy on "Glass Museum" but it was solved with some equalizing.

Well, that's it. Keep in mind that I was considering the cost of the speakers on these reviews...kinda how Bass Player always had that disclaimer that a high score on a $2000 bass is going to be a higher standard than a high score on a $200 bass. If these had cost me $100 then I probably wouldn't be as happy with them.

Great speakers for someone who doesn't necessarily want audiophile quality out of their computer. Get studio monitors if you want that. However if you want a 5.1 setup for gaming and some casual music listening then so far I would recommend this. After I do some gaming on it I'll report back on that.

Music Listening -
    Pros: Price, good presence and clarity, simple setup, big sound from fairly small speakers and sub
    Cons: Short speaker wires (RCA ends), Sub can be boomy and thus require equalization when changing between vastly different kinds of music

brad cook
  13. Cool, im looking into new PC speakers, ive got some cheap generic ones that cost £20 and are "1500 watts", aye, my arse!

They are currently the only weak point in my bad ass computer, and are waaaay to tinny
  14. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Ive got the 2.1 version.

Im very happy with the results, make very nice PC speakers. The only problem Ive had is the fabric mesh on the satellites tend to gather fur and dust very quickly, make sure to clean this with a vacuum and NOT a cloth.

When I dusted them, the duster fibre stuck to the grill and I ripped a small hole in one. :(