Are these ebay auctions suspicious or not?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by spaceman, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I've been looking at ebay for Sterlings. An auction in December for a SUB Sterling caught my eye because they don't seem to be very common.

The seller didn't have any feedback and the picture and description just looked like they came from the Ernie Ball web site.

Then, a little later, another auction from a different user came up with the same photo and description. Again zero feedback.

Now, these two "different" sellers both have feedback from the same account (which itself has zero feedback). The "second" seller now has several other items for sale, all with one bid from zero feedback accounts.

Am I just being overly suspicious, or do other people think there could be something underhand going on here? (Like one person creating several accounts and bidding on their own items)
  2. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it might just be.... :D

I passed on bidding on a mixer last week. The seller had no feedback, he had not done a single transaction despite signing up on Ebay three years ago. There was no picture. The guy didn't respond to a question I submitted on shipping. There were also some strange spellings on a couple of words....hmmm...guess what, nobody else bid either. If it was legit, it would've been a heckuva deal but I wasn't going to risk $300 to find out.

It seems suspicious, and if it's suspicious, don't bid. It's so easy to get greedy on Ebay and let our "wants" override our common sense.

Now I'm still trying to get a turntable I bought last week......I'm getting frustrated and there's only $130 at stake.
  3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    How can you list when you are "not a registered user?" Run away from that one!
  4. Couriosity
    Piqued. Went looking found website
    All text is the same!!

Cool, my post is in haiku.:D

Rock on
  5. I getting really convinced now that there's just one person (or organization) behind this.

Following chains of comments left for others you come across e.g. this list of feedback left for others:

Notice that all but one of the member names are similar: polysyllabic, no numbers, but meaningless. The feedback also seems very incestuous with the same names appearing in each other's feedback.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like something massive may be building after these accounts get lots of "positive" feedback.

I sent a message to ebay but (of course) didn't get any response from them.
  6. wow i have to say that looks sooo sketch man
  7. Last year I used Ebay for the first time. I'd registered like 3 years ago- but never used it. It just so happened that what I needed to sell was a relatively high priced instrument. I put it on my girlfriend's account.

I got a few inquiries, but ended up selling privately anyway.
  8. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    the second link the guy now has 4 feedbacks positive. they are mostly from the same guy on 1.00 items... this is a fraud for sure...
  9. This one looks suspicious, too:

Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass QMT V, pau ferro

Seller has zero activity, thus zero feedback. No specific location in the US is given, and no payment instructions. The photo and description have obviously been copied from the Fender website, and we're not told if the bass is new or used. Plus, the title says QMT, the picture is of a QMT, but the description says FMT. Hmm... There are, however, 7 bids at this moment, so somebody's biting. I emailed the seller several hours ago, and no response yet.