Are these good acoustic basses??? Check them out.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, they're pretty, but I've seen some comparably priced instruments that were unplayable due to poor setup. (They would fret out low on the neck.) You can either buy a cheapie and get it set up properly, or you can spend a little more for something that's of acceptable quality, eg. Washburn or Aria.

I also note that Tacoma's Olympia brand is selling a budget (approx. $400) version of the Thunderchief. Looks tempting.
  2. The first one is where I bought my galveston acoustic from. And the electronic/overall build construction looks about the same.

Bad. Fretboard's a little wavy, A and D strings are a little weak when plugged into the preamp. That's it.

I just adjusted the truss rod so no string buzz, and I'm happy w/ my $120 bass. Then I cut out the saddle so it contacted the p/u better. Next problem solved. Plays fine, sounds pretty damn good (No lie). Works great as a bass to keep laying around away from practice. Great to learn songs on while sitting in front of the computer.

If you want something super quality, I can understand that. But I go for incredible deals that others stray away from because they are scared. I've yet to find something I couldn't fix ($160 Carvin 900watt amp that needed fuses. Sold as DOA, took 15 minutes to make function) But that's just me.

I'd bite on the first one. Good ebayer.
  4. Why don't you just rent a Tacoma Thunderchief?

Ok maybe thats unavailble option but after trying a number of "Cheap" Acustic basses I found i might as well just use my electric with a mic next to it for all the sound you will get out of most of them unplugged.

Just my opinion.
  5. I don't have enough money to rent or buy a Tacoma or a Taylor or any high dollar acoustics. I want a cheap reasonable bass. Micing one of my electrics wouldn't do because then I would have to have a mic and and amp to run it through, defeating the purpose. I want an acoustic that I could plug in if I felt like it.
  6. My point was that all the cheap acustics I have tried have zero volume unplugged. I judged that by playing within a few feet of anybody having a conversation or playing an acustic guitar.
    Some of them had nice tone, if you could hear them.
    The Ovation was the most comfortable to play although i wouldn't wear a polyester shirt it's slippery sucker. it was also the "brightest" sounding , but I considered that a negative. The Johnsons sounded a bit flat but they were new and probably could use some tweaking.
    I'm probably not the best judge i'm just telling you what I think of the inexpensive basses out there after about 6 months of searching for one.
  7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have to agree with that, except it doesn't just apply to cheap ones. I have an Epiphone El Capitan 5 string, a very nice mid priced bass, but it isn't loud enough unplugged to be heard over an unplugged acoustic guitar. The bodies on acoustic basses are just too small to project the frequencies of bass. There is a reason the bodies on upright basses are so big...
  8. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IMO, acoustic bass guitars are pointless. IMO, they don't have enough volume to play acoustic, so you always have to electrify it anyway.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Can you find Landola in the US?
    If so, try one. An dbe surprised! Unusual woods, great sound, plausible volume.
  10. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Hmm - not sure if I'd agree that all ABG are quite. I'm on my third ABG (a hohner - check out my avatar for a quick pikkie) and its plenty loud enough to accompany acoustic guitars.

Just my observation - not to say that all ABG's are this loud, or that everyone would play them as loud as me - the volume could be in my fingers - it does take a little more effort with with my plucking fingers, but not enough to tire my fingers in a 2 hour set.

I play mine pretty often - its a lot easier to pick it up of the rack and play than sorting my amp out.

Its even loud enough for Claire to complain if I'm playing late at night and she's trying to sleep (and before you comment she's upstairs with the door closed and I'm in our dining room with the door closed - which isn't underneath the bedroom)
  11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I bought a Mitchel ABG from GC and it cost me $300. Took me over a month to find a chipboard case for it. It's not loud enough for playing with other instruments unless it's amplified. I just use it to practice without having to plug it in...taking it to beaches, parks, etc.
  12. Ok i just came back from local music store , looking to trade in my Jackson guitar for some decent fretless Bass. No luck with that but I did happen to find a Nice ABG. It was a Fender and even though it was a but brighter then I would like in a Bass at least it had a nice clear tone. Not too expensive either, under 400$. Forgot to ask if it was used or not but if it was it was well taken care of.

Why is it i never have GAS and funds at the same time? :(