Are these good woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nicktbass, Oct 4, 2003.

1. nicktbass

Oct 4, 2003

I am buiding my first bass and I want to know what woods would be good. For the body I would have flamed maple, and the neck would be bumbingo and ebony. The fret board would also be an ebony. This would be a 5-string neck-through fretted bass. Please make suggestions. Need help.
  2. You might want to post this in the Luthier's Corner.
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well to me that sounds like it would be a pretty heavy bass. Also it's bubinga, not bumbingo ;)
  4. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Bubinga is a good, dense wood. But IMHO it's not the best wood to build a neck. I would use Wengé or Ovangkol (or both). They would make a great neck!
  5. hahahah bumbingo sounds like some kind of Australian insult.
  6. you might go with a flamed maple top and alder or ash body. I think that would help make it a little lighter.
  7. dont do that! ovangkol and wenge dont laminate well........ in an humid summer the lamination swells the ovangkol layers will swell at the joints
  8. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Scuse me... these "reasons" are just incredible... I had a sixer made with those woods and the neck was rock solid... if you use wood that's not at the perfect humidity grade, it's possible to see what you were talking about. But if you use "good" woods, there's no way to see that. Trust me. :)
  9. Definitely. Maple is quite heavy. If you want something snappier, get the ash. Otherwise, alder.