Are these knobs too gaudy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Dec 31, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Since I'm still waiting for my Curbow to be finished up, I decided to put the wooden knobs I had made for it onto my GB just to see how they look...

It's not an exact match, but the idea of tying in the rosewood board and the quilted maple body together is kind of appealing.

Do you think something like this would be too much and I'd be better off with something more simple like blackwood or ebony, or does this work?
  2. the knobs look great, but the pickups...

something about BJ GOODFELLOW just seems... dirty! :eek:

3. I think they're nice. :)

They look more natural than metal, but not too natural. If that makes sense.
  4. I think those look good, it kinda looks like they match the grain of the fingerboard.
  5. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Knobs gaudy? Naw. They look nice.
    But the engraved pickups are pretty gaudy, IMHO.
  6. B.J. Goodfellow?

Man, the inuendo.:D :p
  7. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Thanks guys. I think I'll have Roger at THG make up a set for this bass as well.

About the pickups - Bernie actually had the ones with the "GB" logo on them, but I had him switch them out to these because I thought the ones with his name on them seemed a little more "custom." But now that you pointed out all the BJ inuendos, I'll have to scrape the printing off them! :p
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The knobs look GREAT, but...oh dear, those pickups are nasty lookin'.
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Actually, the quilt "screams" so loud you don't notice the knobs. I think it looks great. Wish it was mine.