Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are these pickups aligned with strings OK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 8va, Mar 10, 2006.

1. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    http://tinyurl.com/muxwk

Pic taken from directly above a standard VOX bass. AFAIK this has never been modified and you can see the cuttout shape in the body for the pickups.

Just looking at this though, the string alignment above the pickup heads doesn't seem to follow any pattern (I mean distance from centre of pickup head to string X. Does this matter much?

Where would the idea alignment be? I'm guessing each string should go midway between a pair of heads.

As I'm writing this I'm wondering if it is the bridge that's "wrong" here. If it went down (in the picture) slightly the strings *would* be midway. I don't know if there's an adjustment on the bridge to do that.

2. The yellow line shows the correct string path.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    As lonote says, the yellow line shows the correct string path.

Either the bridge is way off from the outset, or the neck has shifted a bit sideways. That can happen on a bolt-on instrument. It doesn't take a big move to shirt the strings accordingly.

so, check out the neck pocket and see if there is an uneven distance between the neck and the sides of the pocket.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I think it's OK. The poll pieces emit a field and even though the strings aren't dead in the middle, they are still within the magnetic field of those poll pieces. Those gotta be from the 80's.