Are These Power Cords "Safe"???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 17, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

dya think i could run my stewart world 1.2 power amp and bass preamp safely w/ one of these?
  2. I just ordered 2 of these from butch at bayou cables! I checked with butch to see if they're good for Poweramp usage (eg. my RMX 850) and he said yea.
  3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Should be no problem.
  4. getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    Depends on the wiring inside, but it should be fine.
  5. If anyone is REALLY worried about it, just wait a month till i get my cab. Then if i don't show up ever again, or i come on here whining about 3rd degree burns, a combusted rig, and being in need of a new house, then you'll know they aren't safe.
  6. The plug that goes into the wall will probably be rated at 13 or 15 Amp, so aslong as the consumption of the power amps isnt going to push above that, you should be fine :)
  7. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I might be wrong, which I most likely am; but wouldn't each unit recieve less power? This depends on whether it's wired series/parallel, right?

I remember studying this in physics... but I was um, not myself. If that makes sense. Man, I wish I could retake that now.
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Nope, each unit will receive the same amount of power, assuming that the wall can supply ample current to each unit. The voltage from the wall is not divided between each socket. However, if the wall outlet were providing a constant current, it is that current that would be split between each lead. But since the wall only provides as much current as each unit demands, there should be no change in functionality.
  9. It would have to be parallel. They will still both receive full voltage. Your whole house is wired in parallel, so this is no different than plugging two power cords into a double wall socket, or into a single power strip. As long as each arm can handle the load on it (ie the power amp), and the first section can handle the combined load from both arms, it'd be no problem.

Ok. I just looked at Bayou and that one is rated at 15A. Seeing as the World 1.2 power fuse/breaker is rated at 15A also, and it's *supposed* to draw only 5.25 amps, it's no problem at all.
  10. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    Joker: Your Stewart World 1.2 amp has an IEC connector for AC mains? The AC cable on mine is permanently attached.
  11. Good point. :confused:
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

oops, meant my Peavey DPC, but who's countin'? :p

but thx guys, this'll work great with most everything else. much abliged.

but one more question, what if i just use one end? i should be fine, eh?

and anyone using one of these:

13. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    as long as you have one of those plastic "drummer proof" plugs that prevents accidental electrical shocks................ :D
  14. Just use a normal power cord?
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all i have are extra long 10 ft power cords, and wanna keep the back of my rig neat and tidy when i'm using my Furman.
  16. Fair enough. I've got a bazillion extra power cords lying around, from stereo equipment, computers, monitors, amps, etc. Each comes with a new cord, and I just seem to collect them.
  17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That should work fine. Each unit will get the same voltage, but it's not likely that they'll draw the same amount of power.
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You should have got the Tara Labs version...........
  19. WARNING: Try and make sure the AC line in's are on ethe same sides for the different devices you're using! I just got mine and it turns out the RMX and SVP have the Ac line ins on opposite sides :( They're still usable but it's a stretch.
  20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I use them for my PA power amps, two PLX 2402s in one rack and a 3402 plus a 1602 in the other. I never really drive the amps hard, but if I were going to do an outdoor gig where the amps were going to be pushed, each amp would get its own power cord.