1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are these real Rickenbackers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nofrontin, Jul 14, 2014.

1. nofrontin

nofrontin

Jul 28, 2013
    Long Island
  2. NubScrub

NubScrub

Jun 17, 2014
    The finish on the headstock of the first one seems weird. The way the panels of the different shades of red blend usually go straight up and down but it's wavy in that. Strange.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The fingerboard looks a little dark to be real, but that could be the photo. If the seller is willing to provide a serial number, it will be easy to see if it's legit. Are there more photos? Your best bet is to post the photos on the Rickresource forum, they can tell you pretty quick.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Bothers me that he has two used "but never gigged out" flawless basses.

carsbybigd likes this.
  5. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Nope. Maybe he thinks adding the snakeskin strap makes them "one of a kind," but these appear to be standard (and recent) Fireglo and Ruby 4003. Nothing "special" about them; he's just doing a bit of salesmanship. Prices are fair for the basses, so at least he's not trying to rip off that way. By the way, Burton's was Burgundy (translucent red), not Ruby (metallic red), so not really all that close to be a "replica."

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Skeptical here. Serials are mandatory and even then...

7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Hahaha. Yeah right.... Run of the mill standard Rics. Average used pricing too. Still... no such thing as special editions...Good laugh though

Sartori likes this.
  8. el_cody_loco

el_cody_loco

Feb 13, 2013
    It looks like he's just using flamboyant wording to say "I have two regular 4003's for sale that I don't use, someone buy them". Honestly, he's probably got the real deal, but he's using the wording to sell them faster, and make people think they're getting a HUGE steal. Go ahead and look at them in person if they're not too far away.

9. The basses are Rickenbackers, from the looks of it.

The seller, however, is lying about them being special editions. Rickenbacker has never made special editions of Cliff Burton's bass, or of the one Geezer Butler played briefly.

The first appears to be a 4003 in fireglo, a common finish. The second is hard to tell from the picture, but looks like a 4003 in either ruby or burgundyglo.

Cool basses, nice Rickenbackers even, but not what the seller says they are.

10. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Even with these kinda blurry pictures, I can see that the fingerboard wood is the browner Chechen (Caribbean Rosewood) which has been used since 2011, and there are full-width inlays which came back in 2008. That would rule out Burgundy which ended in 1984 (except for 2002 Color of the Year) when the inlays weren't full width. It's Ruby fo sho! Ruby was brought back in 2012.

Sartori likes this.
  11. Yeah, what everyone else said. Real Ricks, but stock ones.

Ric5 and Sartori like this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Krappy photos ... real Rickenbacker

Sartori likes this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Paul Boyer hammers the nail in that particular coffin. He appears to be "somewhat knowledgeable" regarding Ric basses, having literally written the book, like having Einstein show up at the Physics Club Christmas party while somebody is spouting poopiee about relativity.

Sartori and JMacBass65 like this.
  14. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    CONTACT RICKENBACKER.

15. Fair prices assuming they are real and in the nice condition they appear to be. Did Geezer Butler ever play a Ric though? Lol

16. PaulBoyer

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Why, thank you, sir! You're a scholar and a gentleman! I don't know EVERYTHING about Rick basses, but what I DO know is in the book. The prime purpose of the book was to get the RIGHT information out there and try to put an end to the misinformation and legends that had festered for decades. Of course, you can't get everyone to read it, so some of the bad info lives on.

Sartori likes this.
  17. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Got the book on order from Amazon BTW.

18. I'm going to order a copy too. I'm a very recent Ric convert. Played my first gig and recorded my first session with one this weekend. I'm officially obsessed. I've gone from Ric skeptic to total fanboy overnight!

Sartori likes this.