1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

are these riffs too similar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fr0me0, Apr 18, 2006.

1. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    my guitar player is trying to tell me the riff I've wrote sounds way to much like Bro Hymm by pennywise. I'd never heard the song before I came up with the riff and after hearing that they sound the same I looked it up. I notice some similarities, the minor second mostly but I don't think its an over the top rip off. Any feedback would be appreciated

I played the riff first a couple times for the people who arn't familiar with the song. the first riff is the pennywise tune, the second riff is mine. I've also heard the riff sounds like "something else" but no one has put their finger on it. If you know what that "something else" is let me know.

thanks

Fraser

Attached Files:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really don't hear much of a similarity.

That's like claiming ownership of a I-IV-V progression.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe your friend is tone deaf and only notices that both riffs are a bunch of 16th notes. They're not that similar. Tell him Munjibunga said to shut up.

4. Yeah...considering both of them are just outlining simple chord changes; even if they sounded similar, which they do not, there would be no "rip off".
    -Alex

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    He is hearing the root to a run to the next root and thinks they are the same.

However, the timing and different notes and stuff of that nature makes it nothing like the song he is comparing it to.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    no, not too similar.

also...

when i come around by green day and what's my age again by blink 182 are the exact same progression.

so i wouldn't worry.

7. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Similar, but little more than an influence really.

8. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    thanks guys. I think the guy just has issues with other people doing any writing. looks like i'll just look for other people to work with.

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Sounds like Bro Hym to me. I wouldn't use that riff or you're never going to hear the end of it.

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Do you mean the first riff, which is bro hymn? Or the second riff?

IMO the second riff sounds as much like the first as any punk bass line sounds like the first... which is to say not much.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Another thing. Those aren't riffs, they're lines.

12. Nope. Not really any similarity (besides that of the genre, but I digress). Tell him he's an idiot.