Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are these speakers EV 15B´s??? (pic)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jun 28, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Can anyone see if these are EVM Proline 15B´s?
    The seller says they are EV 15B´s. Is that the same as EVM 15B? What are they worth? I will check them out in person before buying but want your advise.
    What should I look for when buying used speakers?
    link

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Not sure but the EV-m15b that I have (bought in 1984 or so) plainly says EV in white right on the dome. The magnet says ev-m15b 200 watts 8 ohm. jmo

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. I think you have got the EV Series II 15B as your driver is 200W RMS. The Proline 15B is 400W RMS and that is what Im hoping this speaker is. Dont know if the EV logo only came on the Series II speakers though. :meh:

4. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    hmm, could be, haven't had that speaker out of the cabinet in a while to check. I'll look when i go home, was trying to type from memory.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Normally, there is no logo on the OEM versions, except the ones in EV cabinets. The picture in your link is of OEM ones, which don't have the big heatsink fins on the back of the magnet the the EV branded ones do. As far as differentiating Proline from Series II, I think your best bet is to email EV/Telex support, and get the maufaturers code info from them. I've seen a number of claims online that the Series II actually sounds better for bass guitar, FWIW.

One thing to look for is evidence of reconing. If the manufacturers code on the cone itself is not an EV one, run away. Going rates for Proline 15Bs in the US should be $150-200 tops, but I don't know your market at all, sorry. Freshly factory spec reconed ones go for ~$125 around here, last time I looked. If you PM me, I will hook you up with the guy in Portland who does authorized recones. He could give you a lot better info than I can.

edit: Looking at your linked picture again, the glue on the dustcap looks very suspicious, not like a factory job. Also, I've never seen the magnet exposed in that fashion, there has always been some form of plate on the back of the versions I've seen.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Aren't the EVM 15Bs supposed to have kevlar impregnated cones? I also thought they were supposed to have ribs on the cone. This one doesn't look like it has either of those properties.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I just walked into my living room and looked at a 15B Series II. No ribs, no signs of Kevlar that I can see. This is a factory fresh speaker that I bought new several years ago.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Not sure about the kevlar, but my 15B's - one original, one reconed - definitely do not have ribs. They have a pretty distinct "woven" look to them (weaved?). The recone came back with a gold "EV" logo in the center, where the original is unmarked in the front. The frames are painted silver, with large silver and black EV logo on the magnet. ProLine and Series II in much smaller print. I bought these new as raw frame speakers; they are not out of a PA cab.

The speakers in the picture look like EV's from the appearance of the frame, and the color and lack of logo ID's them as OEM's out of some type of speaker cabinet. Beyond that you'll have to get the info printed on the back of the speaker.