Are these specs any good? (410XL)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, May 18, 2005.

1. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Power Handling: 400 Watts @ 8 Ohms
    Frequency Response: 30 Hz To 5 kHz
    Sensitivity: 98 dB @ 1 W/1 M

I'm just wondering cause I just picked this cab up for $250 and it sounds pretty good. But I'm just curious if it's specs are decent.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    okey dokey here goes..........

the frequency response spec is meaninggless because no tolerance in dB is mentioned. generally a frequency response speac will say (30hz-kz +/- 3dB) meaning that any frequency in that range will be no more than 3 dB louder or quieter than the 98 dB sensitivity of the cab (which is always measured at 1 khz).

the cab may reproduce from 30 hz to 6 khz, but it could be 10 db or more above or below the average mark, you just don't know. (BTW, a frequency response chart would be best, but don't hold your breath)

unfortunately, that's not what concerns me. a sensitivity of 98 dB for a 410 is pretty bad. most 410 cabs have sensitivities of 103 dB - 106 dB. for every 3 dB less sensitivity one cab has compared to another, it takes twice the wattage for the lower sensitivity cab to be as loud as the higher sensitivity one. that means you're looking at around four to eight times the wattage requirements of a standard "pro" 410, but i bet the cabinet can't handle that kind of wattage.
  3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    DON'T READ SPECS!!!!!!! Use your ears. Specs don'y "actually" sound that good anyway!
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The 410XL is still a very nice cab. They power handling is very low but they have a very punchy sound with good projection. The upper end isn't as clear as the 4.5XL but its overall a very nice cabinet when teamed witha good amp.
  5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I used to have a 410XL and there is no way that the low is hitting 30 at a reasonable roll off. Thing sounds great for mids, but mediocore on lows and highs.
  6. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    thanks guys, i was just at school being bored so i thought i'd post that, but i learn something new everyday on these forums. :)