1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are these sunn 2x15s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by icke2433, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Hey guys,
    I have a guy on craigs who is selling 2 empty 2x15 sunn cabs but he doesn't have the badges or anything that specifically says that they are sunn cabs. From what I've researched they look to be 200s cabs. My plan is to strip them down, duratex them, reload them and turn them into beasts. I usually play rock indie alternative stuff and have never gone into the world of 5 strings would these cabs with some good speakers be able to provide that umph? He is selling the pair for 75 what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. more pics

Attached Files:

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Sunn stuff was good for mids and low mids-- as were much of the early designs other than W bins.

For notes below E, I'd invest in some well designed , modern cabs. A couple of small drivers to go with it if you choose-- no tweeter.

4. I'm not really planning on playing below E, would these be ok?

5. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I thought you might be drop tuning.

The cabs will be a bit heavy weight wise ---but if you don't mind that---go 4 it.

6. Is there any way to tell if they are real sunn cabinets?

7. Usually there is writing on the jack plate that gives the impedance and name of manufacturer.

8. I play a Sunn 200s cab with Eminence Legends in them and it rips. I say snag them before I do! Haha, I have no idea where you are located though (on the TB app), so that prolly won't happen.

FWIW, the tolex (or whatever) that is on those old Sunn cabs is the most durable material I've wet seen on a speaker cabinet that wasn't like rhino lined or something ridiculous. You probably wouldn't/shouldn't have to redo the finish.

9. Sweet I'm snagging them!

10. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    They look wider than the Sunn 200S (used to own one). They might be the 2000s tho?

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Those are some sweet cabs! Definitely a good buy if the price is right.

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    If authentic, these are 2000s, not 200s, which are narrower side-to-side.

The inner porting says Sunn 2x15, tho - as I had two 200s cab, and that's what you saw. These inner 'folds' are a real PITA if you even need to change speakers, as they stand in the way of the rear-loaded drivers' (in mine, JBL D140-F) mounting screws.

The fellow I bought the cab from - former sound technician for Mountain who 'inheritied' the cabs from Felix - had drilled strategic holes in the angled planks into which he could insert a screwdriver/drill in order to make quicker speaker swaps when repair was needed.

13. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    They look like 200S cabs for the most part, but its hard to tell just using my phone screen.
    What are the exterior dimensions?
    Sunn 200S, 215S, and particularly 2000S cabs have tons of bottom end extension, better than the majority of current 215 cabs on the market albeit compromising portability and weight.

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I could not disagree more.

I play through a Sunn 2000S cab. Sometimes I play my BEAD bass through it. It roars, even on the low B stuff.

15. Korladis

Also, OP, if you don't want them, I'd love to have them. Where are these? :p

16. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    The 200S/2000S era Sunns didn’t use jack plates.

Looking at the pics on my laptop, they are more 2000S looking than 200S looking.
    The port ducting seems kosher;

DSC00025-1.

The back looks extremely 2000Sish, proper jack and the requisite 43 screws. (2000S left, 200S right)

Sunn2000S200S.

And the front pretty much looks right too, except for the grills;

Reeves2000S.

I don’t know what the deal is with those added on dolly type things on the bottom though.

If the boxes are 46” tall, 30” wide and 15” deep, I’d say the mystery is solved.

Phenomenal score for $75, I'd say!

17. Korladis

Indeed, so envious.

As for the dollies and the weird grill cloth, those cabs may be forty or so years old. Plenty of time to accumulate some modifications.

Bit of a pity they don't have their drivers, though. Still, for $75... damn.

18. I lugged them around for 20 years miss that tone!

19. Korladis

Certainly there are much lighter options... but man... that sound. Makes it worth the schlep for me.

20. I nabbed em! The older gentleman told me that he loved em but that they were a pain in the ass to reload and heavy to boot.. I thought the dollies were weird as well but they are by no means a permanent installation he just made them to sit on the dolly and can be taken off and sat on the ground. From the picture of the 2000 and the 200 I would most definitely say that it looks to be the 2000, these thing are monstrous, like ridiculously monstrous. Any idea as to what speakers I should toss into them? I kind of want to load all four speakers and stack them on top of each other to create this 4x15 monster.