Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are these Superflexibles?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Ryman, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Ryman

Ryman

Mar 25, 2004
    Lansing, MI
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Nope.
    The ball is different than the Superflexibles.
    Buy at your own risks!

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Jargars Blues?

Look at the blow up pic under 'FEATURES:'

4. Ryman

Ryman

Mar 25, 2004
    Lansing, MI
    Thanks, I think I'll pass and get something I actually want.

5. Francois is right as always - I play on Supers and the winding is a pale/powder blue (not the dark blue here) and the balls are silver and spherical, not brass and tubular.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Nope.
    The Jargars ball, although removeable like the ones on the picture, is different.
    It's solid. Doesn't have any hole.
    The picture's are tubular with a center hole.
    The Jargars have a shape more similar to thick dime, without any hole inside.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Those look almost exactly like the factory stings that came with my bass.

They made the TI Spirocore starks I replaced them with sound GREAT for arco. :meh: :spit: :scowl:

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Do you mean these ebay strings Bow good?

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    No, that they are so bad that they make the starks sound like GOD ;)

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Also keep in mind That my bass is laminated, and sounds like a Kay; of corse you have to like the sound of Kays first. At the time I went with Spirocores I was after a very aggressive and loud pizz sound, and I got that.

I have played a old German bass with Spirocore starks that had a smooth arco sound.......

When I decided to go to Superflexibles this summer I put my old strings back on my bass just to remind myself why I hated them... it took 5 seconds; sounded like file on rubber bands.

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    What kind of Bow do you have? Bows matter too.. ALOT.. and Bow chops...

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    My bow is brazilwood with a boxwood frog, I got it at cost for around $200. Right now I am getting a pretty "fair" sound sense I went from white to black hair and the bass strung up with a Superflexible [A,D,G] / Pirastro Permanent [E] mix. I do plan on getting a better bow.

Yes I agree, and I am progressing.

But all bad strings [or strings that do not react well to your bass] do is make you have to work harder.

13. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I just found this site. "Click me"

Good pictures of string ends matching the makes & models. also a few nice basses. ;)

14. No, i also play Superflexibles and i think they are great strings. The company selling these strings on ebay are really shady as they will not disclose anything about the strings they are selling. Buyer beware!!!

You will not be dissapointed with Superflexibles, bow great, pizz ok. (In my experience)

15. guillermo

guillermo

Oct 1, 2004
    Just to answer the original question:
    "Are these Thomasktik Superflexibles ?"...

NO they're not, and do not buy them. I just happen to have changed the strings that came with my cheapo chinesse bass
    for a set of Superflexibles:

- The Superflexibles sound great, they growl they sustain and
    are easy to finger
    - The ones I removed look exactly like those in the eBay ad:
    the little foam ring at the ball end , the shape of the ball end etc..., they sounded horrible, the friction of your finguertip against the string produces more sound than the moving string itself
    - The Superflexibles have a solid (shaped like an "egg") ball end, and the color of the winding at both ends of the string
    is calypso (I.E light blue/light green mix)
    - The Superflxibles bow fine, even with my "Dollar Store" quality bow, the sing just rigth and are great for pizz playing
    they have a beautifull mixtire of growl + ummff/thump sounds

Guillermo Gonzalez

16. Those are some of the best looking basses i've seen in a long time. Wish there were more pictures........To the printer then the.......... :hyper: well you know!