Are These Things Any Fun???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 30, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've never tried an electric resonator bass.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Do they sound cool?

Elderly Instruments is supposed to be getting some lower-priced ones in soon made in the Far East.

Thanks for any info!

2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If they're lower priced, why not get one and tell us if you like it?:D
  3. rickbass

Well, Rob, they're probably going to sell for only about $430.

But, I was thinking about the SWR Megoliath I'd want to run it through......sort of an "LSDabilly" group.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    THIS I've got to see, and hear:D

I'm curious, too, BTW!;)

Oh...and, once again, so I don't get lost in a mega-thread: that cocobolo kicks!!! I'd love to hear and see it up close!:D
  5. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Rickbass check this site out. It's got video clips.

I thought about getting one still might. Would be a real conversation piece on stage. Keep me updated and maybe we'll both buy one!

6. rickbass

That's my angle, allright....."you've GOT to see/hear it."

I got passed over on a decent paying gig because of a guy who played an overamplified double bass ---- like the guy in the punk band, The Living End, he plays it through an SVT and he is El Crappo when it comes to bass. "Real" double bassists won't even sneeze on him. But, he's a novelty.

I know it's just a gimmick. But I do this for a living and sometimes "gimmicks" bring in some nice paychecks.

Dobro makes one but their version starts at about $1200.

BTW - You and your cocobolo will meet in due time when your custom gets started.....I hope the wood and the sound makes you sweat!!!

7. rickbass

Groove!!!! That is beautiful!!! I never knew there were any samples online (of course, I listened to the "Acoustic/Electric").

Could you imagine that with a good chorus, Rotosound roudnwounds, and maybe some delay?!?! We're talking soundtrack to a Stephen King movie! Reminds me a bit of Jonas Hellborg!

Plus, those Regals are cheapos, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks so much!!!
  8. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Let's buy one! hey did you see the "Banjo bass"? Check it out as well.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just checked the Regal Dobro RD-05...whoa. Sounds cool!
  10. rickbass

Awright, groove - now you're pushing me, I have my limits -

Didgeridoo bass

11. rickbass

Did you check out the acoustic/electric?

It may have limitations, in the sense of a one-trick pony, but I'd love to find out what they are (that's why I was thinking of overamplifying one....but what about a fuzz on one???)

Better yet, I'd like to see what someone like Steve Lawson could do with one of these.
  12. I don't looks like it would be hard to play and would sound like crap with the frets on top of the strings... :eek:

see pic!