Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are these transcriptions correct??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Cornbread, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I found a German website www.e-bass.ch.vu that has something like 300 bass transcriptions in standard notation. I think I'm putting too much value in them because they aren't tabs. Some of them look nothing like the actual bassline. And others seem like they could be transcriptions for a different instrument! I've attached the transcription for "So What" by Miles Davis as an example. It looks something like the actual bassline, but I don't think it is. Either that or my ear isn't hearing it correctly. Can I get a second opinion?

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    oops it didn't attach.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That looks about right to me - I tried playing it off the attachment and it's just how I would play it on bass guitar. There is a bit more of the bass line in the recording before this, but this is what I would call the "head" of the tune. Of course in the solos the bass line is improvised.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...that looks like "the head" to me, too.
    Cool tune in that the bass actually states the melody; note that the phrase begins on the "& of 1".

5. Bruce Lindfield

Looking again, I am certain that all the pitches are right - the only slight doubt might be about the lengths of the rests and held notes inbetween each two-bar figure - it's difficult to tell if the note was intended to be held and has just decayed or whether it's a shorter note - but this is just really nit-picking. I would say it's accurate.

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Then I guess my ears aren't as good as I thought. I thought the line started on an E rather than D and ended on a D rather than a C. hmm...

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I think maybe the problem I have is that I'm listening to Ron Carter's version. There definitely a D in there instead of a C. I'll check out Miles' version.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Not sure what you mean when you say that you though it ended on D rather than C? In the transcription you attached, the very last note of the "head" is an A and all the 2 bar patterns/riffs are shown as ending with D, A or Eb, Bb - no Cs at the "end" as far as I can see?

9. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    My mistake. I gave it a closer listen, and I was just missing a note. In the 1 and 2 groupings (sorry if my terminology is wrong), I thought that last note in the 7 note phrase should have been a D instead of a C. I think I've got it now. Thanks

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...truth be told, the first time I heard "So What" was from Ron Carter's Spanish Blue record back in the '70s(at that time, probably within the first 10 Jazz albums I had in my collection). I know Carter has a more recent album titled So What...I have that one, too!. ;)

Anyhoo, the way I play it(ie my tin ear attempting to cop what Carter did)...
    I believe I'm maybe playing a ghosted Open "E" on Beat 1(then I begin with the phrase on "& of 1" as written).
    Sometimes, on Beat 3(I think), I'll play a tripletted thingee...like a "C"/x/"C" Where x=a ghosted Open "A"(the string BELOW the "D"-string).
    So, in my compooter-ese, that's-
    /x_&_2_&_3e&4_&_/1 etc.

/x_D_A_B_CxCE_C_/D...

Yaddayaddablahblah.

11. Looks good to me Cornbread. And thanks for the link, it's an interesting site, even if some of the Babel-fish translations are humorous.

12. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    It's a good thing notation is an international standard. I think something was lost in this translation:
    "Some new papers about skirt bass lines are down loadable. It concerns bass lines, which were transliterated from Songs crosswise by the skirt vegetable garden. "
    :D