Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are they kidding me, or what?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CJ_Marsicano, Mar 14, 2005.

1. I was talking about the plans I had in mind for my new group (many of you already know about the route I watn to go)... and this winner of a suggestion came up:

"Well, why don't you teach some of these people who think this stuff will go over how to play?"

I was rather shocked. Did he think the music I want to do was really basic stuff?!? :eek:

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    This post is, for me, profoundly confusing -- like a snippet from the middle of a conversation. Who? What? Was that a question? Do you have any links or info for the band and music mentioned?

3. Shall this be the official "Non Sequitir" thread?

Anyone can play!

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes, me too.

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1

6. Sorry, I was presuming that people saw/remembered earlier threads I'd posted (or would look them up) --

Base of musical operations to be: Black Flag, Minutemen, Stooges, Clash, Velvet Undergreound, New York Dolls, etc. -- "classic punk/indie", if you will -- doing both covers of these groups and then originals in the same vein.

7. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I kinda thought that your previous threads were pretty confusing too. :crying:

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I was rather shocked. Did he think the music I want to do was really basic stuff?!?

You don't think the bands you mentioned qualify as really basic stuff? :eyebrow:

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

9. Absolutely not.

10. I just don't understand this.

Don't get me wrong- I love me some old skool punk rock, but it's really not brain surgery. I'm not saying this as someone who studies music, or someone believes some genres of music are 'inferior.'

Then again, it's one thing to 'play a Black Flag song' and another thing entirely to sound like Greg Ginn...

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yes, this is very basic stuff. Very good, but very basic.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

IMO, the fact that's it's extremely basic is a huge part of the attraction.

13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Agreed. Reggae and traditional blues are a lot like that. It's more emotionally driven than cerebral.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    If you don't think that stuff is basic, then does one need a degree from Berkely in order to play Johnny B. Goode? Most of the stuff you mentioned doesn't require a whole lot of musicianship (well, except the Minuteman stuff, which of course requires some good bass skills ;) )

15. I always felt that the hair metal stuff was more basic than my punk/indie/new wave goodness ... I've played both so I can safely say from experience that much is true.

16. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    You could have people pick that stuff up pretty easily.

However, I understand your sentiment of, "Find people and give them instruments." not being helpful in any way.

And way to generalize a 1..2..3..4 genres there. For no reason.

17. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    You're kidding, right? :eyebrow:

18. I swear on my grandfathers' grave that I'm not kidding. :bassist:

19. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    It can sometimes be benificial to have a and member walk on to play even though they don't play the instrament. It just takes HUUUUGGE amounts of time and patience. My drummer had never played drums before he joined my band, and now 3 years later, he is an amazing drummer. His and my playing gel together better than anyone else I've ever played with. He learned to play drums around my bass playing, and we fit perfect.

That said, are you willing to put in years of frustration and hard work to get that?

Now that we're all nice and back on topic, I think I'll derail it again...
    The whole punk hair metal thing, You can't compare genres like that. Some punk/indie/whatever bands could be very complicated and intricate while others may be very simple and to the point. The same goes for metal or any other type of music. An entire genre of music is to broad to make generalizations like that.

20. Well, I absolutely don't have the desire to be teaching someone how to play - I'd rather have people that know how to play.

As for the punk vs. hair metal thing... thinking back to when I was in a band with a hair metal set list... let's face it, 95% of those songs were written for posing, not playing. Most of those Aqua-Net poofs couldn't play a Ramones or Black Flag or Clash song if their life depended on it.