Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are thick Slowounds hard to intonate or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew T., Dec 9, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I put a set of D'Addario Slowounds on my Jazz to mellow it out and my E string won't intonate. I get it intonated before using DR Moonbeams, so I know it's not the bridge. Now my flippin' E string is seriously flat at the 12th fret regardless of how far forward I move the bridge saddle. The B string on my Thumb BO 5 did the same thing.

Broken cores on both? Has anyone else had this problem with Slowounds? D'Addario XLs are my usual string. Anyone have any suggestions for sturdy strings before I pick up another set of XLs?

2. Are you using the same guage strings?

If the core is broken it will be almost impossible to intonate.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Yep, I'm still using a .100 E string.

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I was talking to my friendly neighberhood guitar department fella, when he provided the solution. He suggested that I might have the pick ups too close to the strings. The E string would be affected the most, since its diameter puts it in closer proximity to the pick ups than the other strings. I cranked my pups down bit by bit until the problem went away. Since there wasn't enough magnetic interference to noticeably decrease my sustain, I wouldn't have guessed pup closeness to be a problem.