Are thick Slowounds hard to intonate or is it just me?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew T., Dec 9, 2003.

1. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I put a set of D'Addario Slowounds on my Jazz to mellow it out and my E string won't intonate. I get it intonated before using DR Moonbeams, so I know it's not the bridge. Now my flippin' E string is seriously flat at the 12th fret regardless of how far forward I move the bridge saddle. The B string on my Thumb BO 5 did the same thing.

Broken cores on both? Has anyone else had this problem with Slowounds? D'Addario XLs are my usual string. Anyone have any suggestions for sturdy strings before I pick up another set of XLs?

2. Are you using the same guage strings?

If the core is broken it will be almost impossible to intonate.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    Yep, I'm still using a .100 E string.

4. Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Feb 17, 2002
    Springdale, AR
    I was talking to my friendly neighberhood guitar department fella, when he provided the solution. He suggested that I might have the pick ups too close to the strings. The E string would be affected the most, since its diameter puts it in closer proximity to the pick ups than the other strings. I cranked my pups down bit by bit until the problem went away. Since there wasn't enough magnetic interference to noticeably decrease my sustain, I wouldn't have guessed pup closeness to be a problem.