Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are those "noiseless" pickups really good?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Does that Fender "noiseless" J-Bass pickups really cut hum but preserve that single-coil tone?

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Yep. The coils are stacked on top of each other, and wired out of phase to cancel hum as opposed to soapbars, which the coils are side by side.

3. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    I thought there was a flexible magnent wrapped around some wire or something like that. I have one for my bass project, but I haven't tried it on the bass yet.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I just installed a set on my MIJ Fender Standard fretless Jazz for that very reason. They came stock on my American Deluxe Jazz and I wanted a set of quiet pickups that retained the Fender tone for my upgrade. I was so impressed with my stock Deluxe that I went with the same type of pups.

I feel that it was a success but there are a few on this board that don't seem to like the Noiseless pups. My set combined with a J-Retro preamp and a bass that's a player has me feeling that it sounds as good (possibly better) as my MIA Deluxe. And, I definitely think that it's more versatile. I ain't touching my Deluxe though. It's sweet just as it is.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    They are stacked as Killdar stated. Just a word of advice. If you plan on installing one, make sure to handle it carefully and test it prior to the installation. There's not a lot of protection when it's removed from the pickup cover. The DC resistance should be in the range of 11.5K to 12.6k. I think that Fender states that the neck pickup should read 12.2K and the bridge should read 12.6K.

One more thing. The noiseless pickup cover may not fit in your bass without some routing. Mine wouldn't so I just used the stock pickup covers instead. It didn't really matter to me that the covers don't say Noiseless on them. I know what they are. ;)

6. tbonesux

tbonesux Guest

Apr 7, 2002
    Wisconsin
    whoops, for some reason I was thinking of lace sensors.:confused:

Don't know why......

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's strange, I put a fender "noiseless" that came out of a deluxe jazz into my son's bronco bass, and it's a side by side wrap, with one coil on the E+A, and another on the D+G. IT also has 4 large poles instead of 8 small ones.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Are you sure that you got a Noiseless? I've got a 4-string set and there are 8 poles. That's two for each string and my stock Deluxe pups are identical. If I'm not mistaken, fender only started offering the Noiseless pups on the 2001 series MIA Deluxe Jazz. Was the Deluxe that pup came out of from a year of production prior to 2001?

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Here's a pic of a 4-string MIA Deluxe with Noiseless pups.

[​IMG]

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, the bass is came out of was bought from a music store as a new bass in 2002. but I don't know if it was a new model, or had been hanging on the wall for a while. I didn't buy it, so I don't know. I was told that the pickup was a noiseless, when did fender put 4 pole pickups in a jazz bass?
    here is a picture
    [​IMG]

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's definitely not a Fender Noiseless. You mentioned that the pickup came out of a Deluxe Jazz. Was that an American made Jazz or an import? I'm sure that it's only a stock item for the American Deluxe. Furthermore, are you sure that it's a stock Fender pup?

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    pretty sure, because the bas was bought as new, and I've seen other fenders det up this way. Maybe somebody else can ID it for us.

Mark

13. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Jazz pickups with the four large pole pieces are stock Fender pickups. They are the older version Jazz Deluxe pickups with side-by-side humbucking coils (I don't think Fender called them "noiseless" at that time). I believe Fender started using the stacked-coil Noiseless pickups with the bi-pole pieces at, or around, the beginning of the year 2000.

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I thought that it was 2001 but no matter. I sure like the way they sound on the my two basses that are equipped with them. ;) :bassist: