Are those/these really Fender strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madjazzbass, May 11, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    O.K., I just recently bought a Fender American Deluxe Jazz; on the Fender site it says that the Bass is strung with Fender strings (7250M) Nickel plated; anyways, the strings sounded really good when I got the Bass, but I figured, it'd sound even BETTER with a brand new set of my favorite new strings on it ... Right? - WRONG!, I left the new strings on for ? 7-10 days or so, then decided, 'Let me put those first strings back on (for Sh**s and Giggles); Man when I tell you, that Bass CAME BACK TO LIFE! (the strings were never really dead to begin with). So anyways, I'm used to Fender strings having those color coated ball ends, but these "Fender strings" aren't color coated; so it's got me thinking, Are these really Fender 7250M's?! or could they have been switched somewhere along the line before it got to me? They sound fantastic! I would buy a case of 'em if I knew for sure what exactly they are, Ha!!

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Individually packaged Fenders now have the color-coded ball ends as they're now manufactured by D'Addario.

It is my understanding, though, that some of the ones supplied in bulk directly to the Fender factories are NOT color-coded even though they still do come from D'Addario.

Linnin and madjazzbass like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Those stock string come with black silk on both side ?

like this ?

IMG_20160511_175022_HDR_1462960390084.jpg

Comfuse me is, i remember Am series is come with 8250 with taperwound E previously.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  4. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I personally have never seen black silk winding on any Fender string that I've bought.

5. The ones @Yahboy is talking about are from the previous generation when Fender made their own strings in their factory in Mexico. That was before 2010.

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Oh O.K, Thanks

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^ This Is Correct ^^^

michael_t likes this.
  8. :thumbsup: @Linnin, you're my consummate Fender expert!

Linnin likes this.
  9. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    Random question that came to mind while reading this thread:

Does fender make any strings now with black silk?

10. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    So, Would I be correct if I were to say that, if I purchase a set of Fender Nickel Plated Steel med. gauge (7250M) and a set of D'Addario Nickel Plated Steel med. gauge (EXL165), that I would be buying the same exact strings just in a different packages with one having color coded ball ends? ... Anyone?

11. Just because the Fender 7250M and the D'A EXL165 are manufactured at the same factory doesn't mean they're made to the same specs.

Look at the Fender 9050 flats and the D'A Chromes flats... They may have certain family resemblance but are definitely not identical twins. Again, different specs and different tonal characteristics.

Eikari and madjazzbass like this.
  12. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hmm? OK Thanks, Just wondering

13. The Fenders may have sounded "better" because they were essentially new when you took them off, the other strings had less life after playing. Unless you're already convinced, play the Fenders for the same amount of time, then throw an identical brand new set of the other ones and tell us what you think.

madjazzbass likes this.