Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are TI Jazz flats detunable?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yes, I've searched and read pretty much everything on these strings. Someone asked the same question but nobody really answered it. Right now I've got a MIM Fender P that I tune DGCF and it's got the original rounds it came with on it. The bass I had before this one had Labella flats on it and I really enjoyed the flat sound. So now I want to use flats again but I'm used to a lower tension now.

I keep hearing TI Flats are really low tension. How do they compare to rounds? Does anyone detune their TI Jazz Flats? If I detune will I need to make truss rod adjustments? :confused:

2. TI's are low tension strings. You need to remember that all string brands/styles will vary in tension and feel depending on the company that produces them.

I have detuned my bass for some recording sessions and I use Thomastik Jazz Flats. I also use The Thomastik Power Bass Series, these are round wound strings.

You will need to make truss rod adjustments only if your neck relief doesn't support the gauge of string you choose.

You may beable to just adjust your action. Most likely yes, you will need to adjust the relief to accommodate the lower tension TI's.

Action and relief are two different parts of a setup.

Do you normally do your own setups? If not check back and I will be happy to help you out!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. fortress1w

fortress1w Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Burlington, VT

What kind of bass do you string your Jazz flats with?

I have a Warwick and I am thinking of going to Flatwounds, I have heard good things about the Labella's. I am into a dark mellow tone. Would you suggest the Thomastik JF's over them?

4. Armybass here at TB is very passionate about the Labella flats and he can offer you better advise then I.

I have used them on my 67 P bass but I have converted to TI Jazz Flats about 5 years ago and have never looked back.

I play many basses, mostly a 1967 Fender Jazz, but I own and play about 15 different basses.

I have a Yamaha RBX800A that I detune for studio work, it has the J/P active EMG's in it. I never have any problems with detuning the TI's on this particular bass.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    If you want a dark mellow tone I would go with the TI's. But as far as detuning them, I dont think that I would want the TI's for that. I lighten up my touch quite a bit when I play TI's and have not had to adjust my bass necks much at all. I dont think that the TI's would work well if detuned without a considerable mount of neck tweaking as Treena stated before. I do like the LaBellas and they have a higher tension but they can be much brighter than the TI's. I dont think we helped you very much. :meh:

6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wouldnt recommend detuning TI flats. In fact I just took mine off after about 1 months use because the tension is too low and I couldnt get used to it. They aggrivated me. I have DRs on my jazz bass and they are much more taught then the TIs. I wish they would make a heavier set because I liked the sound.