Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are TI Jazz flats for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Nov 22, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm currently playing a maple board Peavey Foundation strung with like-new roundwounds (brand unknown, but they feel like nickel. I bought the bass used). The strings tend to ring even when I'm not playing on that string. I admit to having gotten away from electric for several years, but I don't think my technique is the problem.

I want to keep the roundwound growl and clarity, but I want to eliminate the string noise without completely rolling off the (passive) tone, and the excessive ringing without having to constantly mute with my palm. I've been hearing so much on these boards about the TI Jazz flats that I figured I'd ask. I've read the threads related to these strings, but none of them answered my question.

Will these strings eliminate the ringing and string noise (well, I know they'll stop the string noise), but preserve the traditional midrange growl/clarity/sustain of the single-coil/roundwound combo? I know flats are something of a tradeoff in this regard -I don't expect them to sound exactly like rounds- but I absolutely do not want a thumpy sound; I have my upright for that.

I hope someone here can help with this issue. Thanks in advance.

2. The TI Jazz Flats eliminate string noise..very easy to play..they do exibit some of the round wound vibe. They will not have a piano like ring to them.

Have you tried DR High beams, Fat Beams or Low Riders?
    They are slightly compressed and get rid of some of the string noise. I have played Fat Beams..good ring to them but the low end was not as distinct as I like..Low Riders had good low end but loose some of the roundwound vibe.

The best roundwound vibe from a flat string is the Rotosound 77's but they seem to loose a bit of that after 2 or 3 weeks.

3. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    It's pretty commom dilemma. Especially for URB/BG doublers.

Firstly, the Jazz Flats. I vacillate back and forth every few months between Jazz Flats and various rounds. (Right now I'm back on rounds.) The Jazz Flats will help a lot with the string ring. But that said, you will have to accept the compromises. TI JFs are not going to sound like rounds...period. And they are going to have more thump. It's what they do. If you want punch then rounds are the ticket. JFs have great mid growl and sustain (which you want), but with thump not punch. Neither one is better, just different depending on what sound you want.

Now for technique. The ONLY real real way to completely get rid of that ring (and still be able to use any type string you want) is to improve your mute technique. It might be a pain after years of bad habits but well worth the effort. It's amazing the difference in placement of your plucking hand thumb will make in cutting string ring. Like you I'm an upright guy too and you know how different the two instruments are.

So, since the issue is more string ring and less flat/round tone I would suggest a focus on technique and make your string choices for all the right reasons.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    My experience with TI flats is that they are not as thumpy as some flats and they are more (for lack of a better word) musical. They will not, however, sound much like any round wound strings with which I am familiar. They are also quite slinky. I had a set on a '62 reissue P and they sounded great to my ears.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You may want to take a look at SIT Bass Silencers. The are supposed to have round wound sound with a flatwound feel. I've never tried them, but they may be what you're after.

http://www.sitstrings.com/product1.htm

As for the "ringing", as others have posted, I think that's a technique issue.