Are Tobias basses any good????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornellius, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004

Have any of you played the Tobias basses? I'm looking at Tobias Pro 6 bass. I've heard reviews that the pickups are weak, but then I've seen others that say the bass sounds great....

2. good and bad reviews for everything.

if you can, try it yourself
  3. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Never played them.. but i have heard that their quality supposably got lower when gibson bought them... like everything gibson takes over.... :meh:

arent MTD the ones wich are the "original" Tobias basses now, or have i completely missed somthing?
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The instruments are decent for the money. The only fault is in the pre-amp. If you buy a Toby, replace the pre-amp immediately! Please be aware that they are Tobias basses in name only. They are not the real [original] thing being made by Mike Tobias.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have an old made by mike tobias bass. I've played a lot of tobias basses made by mike, and a lot of ones made by gibson. IMO, night and day. Every one of mike's is phenomenal. every gibson/tobias has ranged from being ok but too expensive for what it is, to being downright awfull. Mike had a 5 year "no compete" deal with gibson, and then started making a different design of bass under the name MTD (michael tobias design). Once again, all of these basses are fantastic.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Maybe I'm wrong here but he asked about the Pro 6. Is there an original [not Gibson] Pro 6? I'm thinking he meant a Toby [read MusicYo] Pro 6. He also mentioned weak electronics which also suggest the MusicYo Tobias line!! :meh:
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    You're absolutely right. Sorry. I missed the "Pro 6" in his post. :meh:

...scuse me while I wipe this egg off my face... ;)
  8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Regarding the Toby Pro 6, I know a guy that's got one and have played it.

Personally, I like the bass for the money, but the neck is to thick for me. I do think they're very well made. The output is a little low, but decent enough, so just a little more pre gain at the amp takes care of it nicely.

I haven't spent a ton of time on it, but as I recall the tone was pretty good. I wouldn't compare it to a good Tobias (pre or post Gibson), but I don't think anyone would expect to do that anyway.

Bottom line is, I think they're a pretty good value if you don't mind a thicker neck and a bass that's a bit on the heavy side.
  9. dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    Like so many people told before, go for MTD if you want a tobias. Mike is telling this in an interview himself (but this can be because he is making them :) )
  10. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    I own 2 Toby Pro-5's and I love 'em both. The preamp output level is a little low compared to other active basses, though the tone is nice, and its an easy fix by bumping up your input or gain level on your amp. If it bothers you that much, you can replace the stock preamp with a Bartolini NTBT preamp (usually found for $50 used... I found one for $85 new). Some people think they have to replace the pickups to fix the low output, but don't bother. The stock pickups sound sweet!

Attention! Do NOT get the opinion below of the Korean-made Toby-Pro basses (found @ confused with the new re-introduced US-made Tobias terds (pictured @!!!

IMO, you shouldn't compare pre and post-gibson Tobias'. I've gigged extensively with my Tobys for 4+ years and have put them thru pure hell without a single hicup. Sure, they aren't boutique basses like the pre-gibson Tobias', but I wouldn't dare think of subjecting a pre-gibson Tobias to what I've put my Toby's thru. I see my Toby's as more of a "Workhorse" bass, and I haven't been disappointed yet.
    I say go for it! They're priced right, too!