Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are two 410's the same as a 8x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Jul 6, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was looking for a 8x10. or a 6x10
    i was just wondering if it is the same.
    or a 210 and a 410/ the same as a 6x10?

steve

2. Technically no b/c having all the speakers in one box adds to their perceived bass response. It's called the coupling effect.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

That would depend on the speaker design. The Ampeg 8x10 uses 4 isolated chambers. The SWR Megaliath uses 2. The Megaliath does not sound like two SWR Goliaths, nor does it sound like an Ampeg 8x10. I compared these myself and bought the Megaliath. I think it mostly has to do with cabinet design and speakers. The Megaliath has more emphasis on lows and low-mids. The Goliaths have a more hi-fi sound. The Ampeg has the classic mid-range grunt. You might find you like the 2x4x10 sound better. Just try a lot of cabs.

4. Well, 2 4x10s will be a lot easier to transport and you can put them next to each other, stack them, etc. They're somewhat more versatile. A 2x10 and a 4x10 is a popular combination. 2x10 for small gigs, 4x10 for medium gigs, 2x10+4x10 for large gigs.

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Hell, a 4x10 of Brand X isn't going to sound the same as a 4x10 made by Brand Y. So no, two 4x10's will not sound the same as an 8x10.

OTOH two 4x10 might sound similar to an 8x10, but that depends on many different variables (some of which were mentioned above).