1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are two heads better than one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Forkliftdaddy, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Forkliftdaddy

Forkliftdaddy

Oct 23, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm ashamed to say that I've been playing bass for about 19 years and have a pretty poor understanding of how my rigs work. First can someone point me to a good general article about how bass amps work.

I have an Ampeg SVT3 Pro. I've fiddled with it for years and it has done okay by me. I have on occasion wished for more fuzz, but can't seem to figure out how to get that out of the head alone. It's got some grit and a touch of growl, but it seems more like clank than warmth or fuzz or crunch or whatever. I also have a ratty Fender Bassman from the 70s. The tone from it is so much warmer, definitely nice, but the low end is lacking. Now can I combine these in some way so as to get the warm tone of the Fender but keep the bottom end of the Ampeg.

While I have two big Ampeg cabinets (plus the original Fender cabinet), I'd rather run one head into the other somehow.

Thank you!
    Scott

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You'll never get fuzz from an amp, unless it's sick. Try using a bass specific fuzz pedal. For that matter, if you want to run both amps at the same time, (stereo), get a stereo delay or chorus pedal, and run one line from it to each amps input.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Sounds like you want to bi-amp. Run a dedicated amp for your lows, then use the Bassman for your mids and highs.

If that's the case, get a crossover and start experimenting!

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    using two amps won't be bi-amping. Also i wouldn't reccomend using a crossover to split the signal going into the rigs. biamping requires speakers specifically designed to handle the frequency ranges well. no commercial bass cabs fall into this catagory.

likewise, i wouldn't stack the preamps of these two heads without really having an understanding of how that works.

for starters i would look at the amps faq threads (on the top of the amps forum or in my sig) and check out a lot of the threads in there.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Good advice from IvanMike. You can run multiple amps & cabs (people have been doing it for decades), but you need to spend some time getting them to sonically complement each other. There are as many different ways to get a great bass sound as there are players, so start experimenting and you'll find out what you like. :bassist:

6. Forkliftdaddy

Forkliftdaddy

Oct 23, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Wow. So I've learned a lot already from that FAQ. Awesome. Of course, I'm more confused than ever.... but that's learning, right?