1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are UE11 Pros Overkill?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    I really didn't want to switch over to IEMs, but I'm now convinced that in this one band I will have to. They get good gigs, have a good following, but stage volume is largely unmanageably largely due to a drummer that just simply hits too hard.

I've experimented with an IEM setup using audiophile earbuds (etymotics), but my biggest beef is that I just don't hear the full bass response I get from my cabinet.

Looking around the 'net, it seems like UE11 Pros are marketed towards bassists. Given the price, are these overkill?

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Nope, not over kill IMHO.
    I use 1964's A8's after upgrading from their 4-driver Qi's.
    I LOVE the ADEL ports. Let's me keep volumes low, but still hear stage and outside noise.. so not the typical -26dB isolation.
    The A8's have 4 LF drivers per side. I can hear bass frequencies I never heard before.
    I've listened to the UE7's and they sounded pretty good, but have not tried the 11's.
    Take a look at JH and 1964 offerings if you're in the UE11 Pro budget range.

thekyle55 likes this.
  3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I have the UE10's, and they are amazing . . . and the UE11 turns that up to 11! :) :)

hbabels likes this.
  4. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Not in the least bit are they overkill!

I went down to UE's headquarters not too long ago to demo everything and the 11's are eventually what I'm going to have made. Two major factors came into play - 1. Having the second bass driver is worth it. I really wanted to feel the lows and the 11's did it and then some. 2. They are easier to drive with my current setup. Impedance absolutely matters and there was a difference between some of the models that I didn't care for. I tried the 6's, 7's, 11's, 18+Pro, and the Live, and it came down to the 7's and 11's. The 7's are VERY good, but they do not have that sub bass that I feel most bassists would want. Even though they advertise the 6's as being for bass players, I think the 7's were noticeable better. However, the 11's are where it's at. Anything above that and you will need to be extra picky about what you need. The Live model is...wow...but not double the cost wow for what I need.

5. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Also, I also would make the suggestion of looking into the Back Beat or something like an Eich Bassboard if you are really missing the feeling from an amplified setup. I use the Bassboard and it's the only way I can really enjoy being on IEM's. It fills in all of the low end and lets me feel the bass again while keeping the stage silent. It's like I'm standing on a massive rig!

6. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Appreciate the input, but i don't want to get too bogged down in looking at different things. Are the JH offerings that much better than UE? Looks like for the same price as the UE11 pro I can get a 10 driver configuration from JH but Im not sure if that's advantageous.

Ill probably still keep my rig on stage...The drummer is such a hard hitting drummers its ridiculous and I think/suspect that having some bass on stage will be advantageous.

7. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    I have to ask whether you’ve thought about putting up a shield in front of the kit to try and tame it down a bit? Making a $1k+ investment just into the IEM part (not including how you’re going to get the signal) just so you can hear yourself play over a loud drummer seems a little counterproductive and costly. The IEM’s will do their job and help you hear more of everything overall, but in good ol’ Talk Bass fashion I think it’s time to fire the drummer. JK, of course!

Back on topic - there’s a long running debate of UE vs JH, and honestly it comes down to what your ears tell you. More drivers is not always better. Once I got to the 11’s in my demo the only major thing that changed was the overall clarity. If you sing you might want something equivalent to the 18’s, otherwise I didn’t see a huge advantage in the bass frequencies that I was looking for.

8. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

I don't think a shield would go over well...It also brings up the question of who would be responsible for carrying it around and setting it up...(Im not interested in that).

IEM's are being pushed hard by the B/L. He bought the transmitters and wants us to use them, I've been balking at it because I honestly just simply prefer the sound of my bass rig, demeter or mesa D800+ driving a fearless 2x12 cabinet I bought literally one month before he brought up IEM's because my Eden rig blew up.

I really don't want IEMs nor do i want to spend the money on them, but I do want to continue playing and the choices around here are few in this genre (lots of grateful dead bands in this area, and lots of bass players that want to play that stuff) so Im more or less stuck unless I switch genres and learn a bunch of new tunes which I don't have the time to do.

Also, after this past weekend with the drummer flailing away on every song, even tunes that should be slower and quieter, it's obvious to me that IEM's are the only thing that will work in this band.

Replacing the drummer with someone who has more finesse and a better sense of dynamics would be preferable to me and would probably elevate this band, but that's not going to happen.

9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Not that I know of, no.. Was giving you some alternatives... But.. multiple LF drivers WILL help as you get better bass definition (and control) than with one LF driver.

That said.. you mention you are being forced to go IEM.
    OK. have you thought about going with universal fit to start with?
    Had a guitar in our band that bought wireless + UE7 rig.. couldn't handle losing the amp in the room. Yes, there's an adjustment. HE wasted $$. Never used the rig.

You will save a ton of $$ if you try the KZ ZS6 or AS10's (~$60 IIRC) first.
    Keep in mind that if you LIKE those, and get used to IEM's you can always upgrade your buds to the UE11 at any point.
    $1200 is a lot to shell out on IEM's when one really isn't into them.

freedomryder likes this.
  10. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Very much agree with this. Do not drop the coin on custom molds just yet when it sounds like you haven’t played a gig through IEM’s. Your ears don’t even know what they need yet. I’ve been using Westone AM Pro 30’s for over the past year and I feel now that I know what needs to be changed. You can go far cheaper than these and still get a good sense of what will work.

s0c9 likes this.
  11. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Yep..it's like buying the bass you LOVED... only you don't like how it plays or sounds! :D

fauxtoe likes this.
  12. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    And I meant to say that PAST the 11's is where the change in clarity (and soundstage) happens. Otherwise, I find that right at that point is where most bass players would stop. The dual bass drivers is definitely an advantage.

I still stand by my last post and I would not buy custom molds just yet. Get some universal fit IEM's from somewhere that has a good return policy (or good price) and see what works for you.

s0c9 likes this.
  13. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Well....I have been using etymotic HFs on some gigs. I have not played a full two sets with them in though. Usually get through a set and take them out for one reason or another.

Above all, whats most important to me is being able to hear my bass reproduced well, and overall clarity. I dont think that just having stuff piped in my ears will keep me happy if my bass isn't re-produced well or the other instruments don't sound good. I figure if I am going this route I want what will give me the best of what I already described here.

Not dropping any major coin yet, I'll consider the less expensive options if they are something that will sound better than the Etymotics I have.

This really has me bummed. I like the sound of my cabinet.

14. You will not get the amp in the room tactile feel or punch of your amp and cabinet thru your iems but you can get the sound close to how it sounds recorded listening thru decent over ear headphones. Just be prepared if you use iems its a small sacrifice to make imho to reduce stage noise and be able to hear everything clearly. I use a set of Bgvp dm6 5 driver universal fit iems and absolutely love them they where about $200 but they offer them in custom molds for an additional $75 I highly reccomend checking them out

15. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    That's where something like the Backbeat or the Bassboard come into play for helping with the feel part of it. However, are you all trying to quiet the stage, or do you want IEM's just to be able to hear yourself better in conjunction with using an amplified rig? The one thing that happens when you go to a quieter stage is the bass feel that everyone is used to suddenly goes away. That can be a good or a bad thing depending on how you all adjust.

16. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Wish you had posted earlier lol.

I bought a set of the ZS7's. They aren't great in terms of fit and Im using the smallest pieces i have on them. I probably should have just gone with my gut insinct and got the UE11s or some other custom despite the cost because the last thing i want to be doing is to be dealing with earpieces that are falling out.

Not really room on stage for a bass board frankly i think that backbeat thing just looks stupid.

re bolded: as mentioned this is being pushed on us by the band leader who wants us to go all IEMs due to stage volume issues. I've also realized that with the drummer in this particular band, it's probably for the best as the guy is basically incapable of any playing that requires dynamics..hardest hitting drummer ever.

Frankly replacing that guy with someone who understands dynamics better would solve 90% of our volume issues.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If he's that loud, good luck. He's going to bleed into every mic on stage anyway. So you'll still be fighting drums in your ears.

18. Try using some good after market eartips I personally reccomend triple flange ear tips, Comply foam or Spinfit twinblade eartips wich are my personal favorite choice. Getting a good fit and seal is crucial for playing bass with iems if you dont have a good seal on your iems the bass is lost it will have no punch. The kz zs7's are decent iems if you get the seal and fit right on them they are abit mid scooped and harsh/tinney sounding in the treble but overall not bad I think if you get a cable that you are comfortable with and good fitting eartips the zs7's can be a perfectly workable set until you go custom mold down the line.

freedomryder likes this.
  19. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Then I really wasn't far off from saying to fire the drummer. If the guy can't play a softer beat when it's called for, then I'd say it's time to start looking for someone who can. I've played with the opposite before to where the music starts to drive upwards and the drummer won't feel it going that way and keeps playing like it's a soft jazz session.

20. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

Im not in disagreement with that, but it ain't happening. He and the B/L are tight.

can you provide an amazon link for that? Looks like I'll need tips with 6 mm to 6.5 mm conncetor size?