1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

are "USA" pickups in Jpanese fenders really USA?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rorykins, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ive always wondered, if the pickups in my mij 75 jazz bass reissue are actually the same american pickups, or if its some kind similar design?
    isn not important, just wondering.

so USA or not?

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    If your asking if putting USA pickups in a Japanese Fender makes your bass the same as the USA bass; the answer is no.

The pickups are an important part of the instrument, but they are not the whole thing. There are many differences between MIN, MIJ and MIA basses and guitars, which will all impact on the tone and feel of the instrument.

However, I would always say put the best pickups in your bass for the best sound possible!

3. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    There has been a couple of threads where japanese reissue p's came with same pickups as mia p.

4. i'm aware of the differences in mia, mij, cij, mim, mik, whatever.

just asking if the pickups in the fender japan basses have the same pickups as the usa fenders.

from ebay:
    BODY: ASH
    NECK: MAPLE OVAL TYPE and 432SCALE
    FRETBOARD: MAPLE or ROSEWOOD (IVORY BINDING), 184R and 20F
    NUT WIDTH: 38mm
    PICKUPS: J-BASS VINTAGE (U.S.A.) x 2
    CONTROLS & SWITCH: 2VOL and 1TONE
    BRIDGE: VINTAGE

5. hi, sorry, i missed elbandito's post.

thanks!

6. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    All Fender Japan basses that has "US" in the model code have MADE IN USA pickup. For example PB70-120 US NAT/M means its a Precision Bass '70 RI, costs 120,000 YEN, has USA pickup, NATural finish, Maple fingerboard.

7. I simply don't believe them....

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Why not Tony? Just curious.

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Just because they say US PUPs doesn't mean they are the SAME as the US PUPs used in the MIA instruments. They could well be US made to different specs for the CIJ basses. I suspect at least some of the models are equipped with these types of pickups.

10. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    If this is the case (we don't know) , FENDER USA should tell FENDER JAPAN to specify clearly that the pickups are MADE in USA but exclusively for Japanese Fender and not exactly the same as those fitted in MIA. Nevertheless, it still is MADE IN USA. Good for marketing. I prefer DiMarzio though :D

11. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I know for a fact the pickups in my JV Squier are U.S. made. They are the exact same as the ones in the '80's U.S. '57 reissues.

I always thought the pickups in Japanese Fender models were made in Japan. Never knew there were any made with U.S. pickups.

12. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    You are right. All export JVs were fitted with US made pickup that were also standard issues in MIA.