1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are video games really getting better?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Yes

39.7%
  2. No

43.6%
  3. Maybe, I don't know. Could you repeat the question? - AKA - Carrots

16.7%
  1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Well? I for one have an N64 that is very old, and an XBOX that is kind of old. I'm selling the XBOX and keeping the N64. Why? Because N64 has great games, classics with endless repeat value. The XBOX library has nothing but mediocre titles across the board. A few gems, but nothing that even comes close to the greatness of the N64. Furthermore, I look at the PS2 and GC librarys and see the same thing.

I used to be quite the gamer, then I found bass, and now, not so much. But I still know my video games. And I know that all these new developements such as graphics have overshadowed the most important part: Simplicity. Everything is so advanced that it becomes a pain in the arse to play the new games. I long for the days when I can press a button and throw a shell at a cart, sending him flying into the air. But no longer. And what about even before the N64, with SNES and NES? And what about Dreamcast, and Playstation? The last good consoles, that's what. Now all people care about is how it looks, and as such the game quality suffers.

This isn't nostalgia talking. I've noticed a genuine decline in the quality of video games since the advent of PS2. This is probably the only aspect of the 90's I miss.

2. Er... which N64 games do you even speak of? Other than Goldeneye, Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Smash Brothers, that console was awful.

Gaming is doing a heck of a lot better these days as a result of the hardware, and internet capabilities developers have at their disposal.

Just play Elder Scrolls Oblivion for five minutes and let me know if you think gaming is going down hill.

3. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    N64 was not awful. Super mario, mario kart, smash bros, zelda: ocarina and zelda: MM (not as good though), mario golf, mario tennis (yes, I'm a mario fan), goldeneye, perfect dark, etc.

I speak primarily of consoles, not computer games. I thought elder scrolls was for computer?

4. to each his own, i like new and old games, but i have to agree, some are just really retarded

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I never liked 64 much either. In fact, the last system I really enjoyed was Super Nintendo.... played the crap out of that thing.

6. i just don't think the industry has come out with anything new...just the same RPGs, same shooters, same action games, same sports...the only difference is more violence and better graphics...of course all the systems have cool games, but they just don't really strike me as a MUST BUY GAME OF THE YEAR

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    What about Battlefield 2 on the pc? 64 player online warfare, driveable vehicles including planes and helicopters and massive battlefields to fight in. a great idea which also has awesome graphics and great playablity.

so it's not a console game, but meh... pc's are better for everything except driving games anyway.

:bag:

8. Rayman 2 is another great N64 game.

I don't think games are getting better exactly, but I won't say they're getting worse. Thief 3 (2004), for example, is a great game, which shows that not all modern games suck, at least. I don't play too many new games, but there seem to be some good ones. Half-Life 2 is astonishing, Katamari Damacy is great, from what I hear, the Sims and its sequels are pretty unique, Will Wright's "Spore" is completely new, and I've seen some lesser known games that are pretty good. There are also good, innovative, games on the indy front, like Gish, and another whose name escapes me. I'm not sure games are going downhill.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The newest console system I own is a Sega Genesis.

:eek:

:D

10. i think back to the old days of n64 and how great it was. then i plug it back in and realize that i play xbox now MORE because i can actually see everything. sure, it has it's bad titles and good titles. but look: all i have is doa 2, godzilla, morrowind, tiger woods 05, the halos, gta vice and sa, thug, and fable. and that's everything i need

11. Video games hit their peak in the 90's, just like mainstream rap.

12. As a young'un, I spent endless hours crouched around my SNES because I had absolutely no social skills. So now they make video games where you can play people online through the console, I mean fairly regularily a cadre of my friends get together to do "Halo parties." This is clearly lame and it just won't do. My high school was the absolute snarkiest, smarmiest yuppie infested building in the entire state of CT (which is saying something.) So you can imagine how slighted I felt by the video game industry when my classmates took time off from getting drunk and dying in car accidents to play X-Box, generally while drinking. On the bright side, this sudden lack of an angsty loner video game market gave me enough free time to pick up the bass guitar. Haven't looked back since.

Wow, that was a heck of a rant.

13. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    wow, I'm getting old!!

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yeah, games have come a loooooooooong way since Odessy, Atari and Coleco (I don't remember how to spell it)...

:)

15. There's nothing wrong with that, Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam2, next to Mutant League Football are two of my favorite sports games ever. I remember when N64 came out and compared to the other systems of the time the gameplay, graphics and programming were just incredible. I think that because standads have become so high that really the main thing people are being impressed with now are sharper graphics, there hasn't been anything completely revolutionary where anyone and everyone can say "Wow, that's a hell of a videogame". That's why I was so unimpressed with Xbox 360, it was the same console with sharper graphics and some better online playability. Well, storing music and videos was cool too. Anyways, it just didn't hit me the way the snes's playstations and 64's did when they came out. So few things are completely new and original anymore that it'll take something to really raise the bar to become another one of those classics. I'm looking forward to the Nintendo Revolution though, should be interesting from what I've heard. Well, enough rambling.

16. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    When someone brings out games like the Castlevania series, Super Ghouls and Ghosts (is there a more challenging game?), Contra... I might start playing games again. Bring back the 2D sidescroller.

17. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    +1
    PSX also had some pretty solid games, though I never owned one.
    Can you spell E-M-U-L-A-T-O-R?

18. Jeez, either you guys just have remarkably high standards, or you haven't checked out the stuff available.

Some amazing games have been released within the past five years, let alone the last two.

Ah well.

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've mostly just lost a lot of interest in video games.

I started out on Pong when I was little, and from there went to the Atari VCS, ColecoVision, then the original NES, then the Sega Genesis, and from the early '90s on I went on to PC gaming (Wolfenstein, Doom, Civilization, etc). I kinda kept up with PC gaming until about 2002 or so, but my interest really started to drop around then. Nowadays I pretty much just go back and play old games for nostalgic kicks.

20. Resident Evil 4 was way too much fun. I remember losing to Krauser about ten times in the knife fight before finally getting past that point :smug: