Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are vintage Fender prices flat, or falling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beadgc, Nov 4, 2005.

1. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm looking at eBay "Fender bass" listings, arrayed by highest price. What's interesting is that of the first 50, only three have any bids (though some have several days to run, a few are only hours away from expiration) -- a 68 Paisley tele bass, a 69 jazz, and a 72 jazz. I'm familiar with the prices of 72s over the last few years, since I used to own one, and this one -- sunburst, all original, currently at $1,675 -- seems like a bargain. While some of the other un-bid 47 are obviously overpriced, others seem pretty reasonable.

So what do you think: Is this an indication that the vintage market is flat or falling? Anyone have any other data or insights?

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I'm not sure if the market is going down a bit or if all the good stuff has been pretty well snatched up. The really pristine 50's and early 60's stuff still seems to be getting big dollars but the rest of the market seems a bit flat or maybe down a bit. Could just be the time of year and we may see a rebound in December or January. I felt like the late 60's and early 70's stuff was getting out of hand price wise there for a while. I'm far from an expert in this arena though.

From the eBay standpoint there is a bunch of mis-represented crap out there that I feel has kind of scared people away. Not that there isn't real vintage pieces on there, just lots of scammers too.

My 2 cents for the sake of discussion ... ;)

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    As someone said.
    Older 50's and 60's Fender still bring top dollar.
    I just played a sweet 1965 P-bass.
    Sunburst, nice C-neck, all original. 9.5 condition.
    Seller wanted $6000.00. for bass.
    I thout High $4000.00 was more relistic.
    To me price was a little high.
    Plus I did not have $6000.00 to spend.
    Also to me 70's Fenders are just to high.
    1968-1972 fender are nice basses.
    But now people, are asking $1800.00- 2000.00. for 1976-1978. basses. Thats crazy?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The good stuff is always out there. I think what you're seeing may just be a natural correction of an overinflated market. Before Ebay, most prices were negotiated. After Ebay, there was always some dope willing to pay way more than something was worth just to get it, which caused a big jump in the bottom line price until all the dummies who would pay anything for a 62 Jazz or 57 P had them. And now most of the people who would have paid top dollar for a bass off Ebay already have their dream basses, so you might see a slight correction. However, it's going to be slight at best, because as soon as the dummies get GAS again, prices will climb again.

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I think it is dropping because people are better shoppers. Armed with more knowledge and can better evaluate the concerns with a vintage instrument such as refins,changed parts etc. As a result,fewer people are taking a chance on super high end classics.

In addition, a player who once would've bought the older Fender, can be a new Sadowsky, Celinder, Mike Lull, or Fender Reissue, or custom shop model and get a bass with excellent build quality and can modify the instrument without worrying about depreciation.

Don't know if I would be comfortable taking a mint '59 P-bas to a gig at a bar! :(

6. A couple other factors to consider; the misrepresentation on some of the basses is due to ignorance of what the bass actually is and what it's worth; hence the overpricing.

Low number of basses bid on? Chalk that up to the fact that there's a lot of people out there that would buy basses like that, but not on line, or having anything to do with somebody trying to ship a "vintage" bass that doesn't know how to do it properly.

Ebay's not a very good source for guaging the market. Too many variables.