1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are wall hangers harmful

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RSmith, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I always put my basses away in their cases when I go to sleep at night. I have a few wall hangers like you see at music stores installed on my bedroom wall and I was wondering if these are harmful to you basses when used for a few days or longer at a time?
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. I used one for my guitars (used basses too much to bother), and it worked fine. It was a rubber-coated hook I bought at a hardware store. It never hurt the guitar, but I was always careful with it. I say this because I did notice damage to the neck of a Musicman hanging on the wall at GC. I didn't inspect the hook, so I guess just check and make sure the neck won't leave a residue.

It didn't affect the (bolt on) neck or any other part. Just make sure there is a felt pad on the wall or something so it doesn't scratch up the back.

3. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    as long asthe hangers are foam or rubber coated, your fine.. on the other hand if you dont mount it on the wall right your bass could do some serious damage to the wall. esp if its a heavy bass, like one of those SX ashes or a ebmm stingray

4. I've been mounting hella shelves lately and I echo Fong249's concerns. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you're drilling into a stud when you hang a wall hanger.

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I use string swings, and i like them. Theyre conveninet, more out of the way, and look good on the wall like art. And i have never had a problem with it damaging my basses in any way. But yes make sure you coreectly install them because if its not in a stud and you have a heavy bass, like fong said, you wall will have damage, and you bass will too.

6. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    This shouldn't be a problem unless you have temperature and humidity problems or active children/pets around.

7. They're mounted on studs. I just meant the weight in the headstock causing a bow or twist. I go out of my way to pick light basses (9lbs or less). I guess music stores use them (even high end bass stores) so it's probably not a problem.
    Robert

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have these wall-mounted stand-like things, the type that is put on the ground. So in this case the bass is standing on the fork, and there's no need to worry :p

[​IMG]

9. Now that's a better idea, Frank!

10. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i can just see the basses lossing balance and falling off *gasp* but there probebly tied or something somehow

11. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    i've heard nitrocellulose gets discolored by prolonged contact with rubber.

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Sadowsky basses ship with two little furry "socks" designed to be slipped over the rubber prongs of hangers to prevent damage to finish.