1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Warmoth Necks Too Heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 8, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've heard that Warmoth necks are heavy, but how heavy?

I know they are well made and I'm sure I wont be disappointed with the fit and finish but if the weight is way more than average its not for me.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

They certainly can be , all the USCG necs I have felt have all been significantly lighter.

3. Btone

Btone

May 5, 2001
    Had one, a super neck in every way. Maple/Pao Ferro. It was heavy, and I would definitely used light weight tuners. With Hipshot Ultralites the bass balanced quite well.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It would definitely depend on the type of neck wood you used, the type of fretboard wood you used, the type of headstock you used, etc. etc.

The common heavy aspect most people refer to when talking about Warmoth necks is their practice of using two steel bars on either side of the truss rod to help keep the neck more stable.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmm... I'd be after a maple neck / rosewood fretboard with blocks but no binding (if possible).

Shouldnt be too bad, eh?

Also, is the fretboard radiused? They look flat from the pics I've seen.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    They come standard with a 10" radius - not too flat. To my knowledge, they don't offer different radius options. I believe USCG does.

My Warmoth J neck's heavy, but absolutely one of my favorite necks of all time. Hipshot Ultralites help a bit (plus being great tuners).

7. I have two Warmoth Jazz necks. One is an OLD birdseye maple neck and it's pretty heavy. I also have a maple/rosewood and it's rather light. The old heavier one plays MUCH better, worth the extra bit of weight!!