Are waterbeds bad for your back??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Feb 20, 2006.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    I have heard this from different people some say yes others say no.
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I have heard that they are.. but I still would LOVE to have one :)
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I used to have one, I'd say yes. I don't have any data, just that after a while, my wife and I preferred the floor to the bed. I love my Denver Matress!
  4. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    They never seemed to bother my back when I had one, but that was way, way back when I was 20-something. I do seem to recall that I had always had a hard time getting out of bed... meaning I didn't want to get out of bed... when I had one. However, I was 20-something, and not too many folks that age do want to get their butts out of bed in the morning... :D

One thing's for sure... waterbeds are kinda hard to move!
  5. I would not recommend one if you have bad posture or an injury already sustained in your spine
  6. "And you're all in the money" ...( +1)
    I'd think go for the hardest U can find (anything that says orthopaedic/hard)
  7. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Waterbeds don't give you any support so yes they are hard on you.

You don't necessarily need a hard mattress; you need one that gives support, which are two entirely different things. You can, for example, get a pillowtop mattress that supports your back just fine. We have bought all our mattresses from the Original Mattress Factory (I know they are in Ohio too); they duplicate/improve on well-known Sealy models and others with side-by-side comparisons. Except they are much less expensive... but not 'cheaper'. Go in and at least talk to someone there, they aren't paid on commission so they'll explain the mechanics and such without any pressure.
  8. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Everytime I hear the words water bed I hink of Steven Wrights take on them...

"Sex on a waterbed is like bouncing a tennis ball off a curtain."

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1 to both
  10. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Trampolines are difficult to get the hang of, as well.
  11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    They are really cool, but i think its only bad for your back once you either:

1. jump too hard on it causing it to explode and then you hitting the floor

2. jumping too hard and bouncing off the bed onto the floor, and once again hitting your back
  12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I would love to get a waterbed, but I need my money to get a new foot-shaped gas pedal for my Firebird and I'm saving up for that new Speedwagon 8-track. :bag:
  13. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    :D :D :D :D :D