Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are we doomed to....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    ....call every bass Fender made in 1996 a "50th Anniversary" model Fender? Case in point:

http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/fender_50th_anniversary_jazz_bass_4_st.htm

OK, yes every bass Fender made in the USA in 1996 seems to have had a pea-sized sticker behind the headstock that said "50th Anniversary". But calling a bass a "50th Anniversary" model has always smacked of scam, to me.

I mean, a newbie would expect they're getting something somehow more special than just a basic Fender American Standard Jazz bass. Which they aren't. This crops up on Ebay too, and always off me pisses.

2. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah sometimes you wanna email and type smack, but that'll just help lead to your impending anuerysm. Mine's coming anyday now, I know it. :meh:

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hand-made my butt. Fenders are about as handmade as Ford cars.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The Jazz Bass came out in 1946? :confused:

I also thought the MIA J's since the early 90's had plain knobs on them, not the Strat style knobs that are pictured on that Bass. And, check out the chunk of paint missing from the bottom of the Bass, in the middle pic (roughly underneath where the input jack is). I've seen nicer MIA's with hardshell cases for cheaper than that.

5. They don't have Strat knobs, do they? They look like plain J knobs.

But yeah, they weren't handmade, probably not even special besides possible some documentation or something on the neck plate.

6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I guess that unless they are fabricated in space entirely by robots, they are handbuilt to some extent. Handmade is a weasel word.

Oh, and there WAS a 50th anniversary series of Jazz and Precision basses. They had figured sunburst tops and tacky gold hardware. 500 of each were made. My feeling is that unless the bass is one of those 1000, one ought not call a 1996 Fender a "50th Anniversary" edition bass.

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think 1946 is when fender the company came into existence, making lap steels and stuff.

...or i could be completely wrong.

8. Right. Fender has 2 50th Anniversaries: 1 to commemorate the anniversary of Fender, and 1 to commemorate the anniversary of the jazz (or precision) bass. Sometimes these particular basses are confused, but they are different years and have different features.

Randy

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Both my P and Jazz V are '96 '50th Anniversary' models... I bought them because they were killer basses, not for the added sticker...

-robert

10. fender was founded in 1946 their first electric was the Broadcaster Guitar which was later re-named the telecaster(due to the fact that gretch already had a drum kit for sale called the broadcaster) 1951 the P-bass came out then in 1960 the Jazz was introduced. so I am sure in 2010 they will have a 50th for the jazz.

11. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland