are we in the middle ages or something?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Nov 26, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ok, we all agree it was a stupid comment...

but how the heck can, in this day and age, a state declare that someone should be killed for insulting a religious figure(figment) ?! and they're SERIOUS too!!

i really wish i was in charge of the gene pool.
  2. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It has always eluded me totally how anyone can believe something that is so obviously morally wrong and against all common sense. But if you're successfully indoctrinated it must seem right I guess.

I see no reason to insult anyone's god or prophet, but I can't see how it's a capital offense either.

Fanatics of any kind are scary and dangerous.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I think this points to some of the biggest reasons the world is the way it is.

For one, religion (and not just Islam either) seems to have this idea that God/Allah/whatever stopped communicating with us a long time ago (hundreds or even thousands of years ago), and so all we have of "God's word" is these ancient scriptures - The Holy Bible (which has been 'edited' by the church more than once since it was first written), The Torah, The Koran, etc, which are 'not to be messed with!'. And, furthermore, I believe that these scriptures tend to be wholly innacurate, and convey little of the original wisdom - most of which is misunderstood IMHO. I don't believe The Bible is the word of God - it is the word of the people that wrote the scriptures at the time, and represents a misunderstood view of the 'Word of God'. And the same for these other scriptures - that say that anyone who insults Mohammed should be killed, or anyone who has sex outside of marriage should be killed, etc.

And furthermore, this is combined with this dogmatic belief some people have that their religion is right, and all others are wrong, that theirs is the only path to God.
  5. There used to be two towers not far from where I'm sitting right now, but...

Mike J. :(
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We're talking about 100 deaths because of a stinkin' beauty contest!

I think about that Zappa song..."Dumb All Over!"

And when I see a movie, or a picture of the Twin Towers......(I'll keep it to myself) for now.:mad:
  7. I personally devote the title of Metallica's first album to anyone ignorant enough to say something like that, no matter what religion they are.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Hey, the Nazis killed how many Jews? And not even for insulting a god-they were killed simply for existing, and the Nazis felt fully justified to do so. And that was less than sixty years ago. People like to justify their hate.
  9. Tis true...tis true...:(
  10. P. Aaron

This is where it can get tricky...Moderator?

How do we handle this? There's alot one can say, but we know where it will lead.

This whole Beauty Contest Protest was a direct slap at the West. There's lots wrong with the west, but we can at least work these things out through the courts or legislation, or laws. Or we can tune it out when it's as benign as a Beauty Contest.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no sweat, bud. this can stay open if...

1. we don't insult fellow members.
    2. we don't make insulting blanket statements about someone's beliefs.

easy, right? :) this topic is a good one to discuss. i was outraged when i heard about this.

remember - mutual respect and civility is all it takes.
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    John, that is a mouthful!

Gods or not... that's all we all need to live by in this world.

People suck (not anyone here... not anyone in perticular... just as a whole. I hate being a people)
  13. P. Aaron

Shall we judge fanatics by thier rhetoric or by thier behaivior?

Certain peoples are mad at the comments Falwell, Robertson, and Graham have made regarding the way some practice thier beliefs, but these same critics have not condemned the actions of others.

Where's the peace I keep hearing so much about?
  14. PAaron, this peace you hear about is a lie. If anyone wanted peace it would be easy to achieve.
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've been thinking about the "dark ages" in relation to what's going on today - and i believe it's coming. or at least a large change will occur during my lifetime. Not sure exactly what it will be though: The environment deteriorating to the point where the world can't support it, nuclear war, Muslim vs. Christian world war, corporations taking over america, starting space travel...

you know that "post-apocalyptic" world that lots of movies/anime are set in? the one that isn't TOO far in the future but occurs after something really big and bad happened? (think Akira)

i think it's coming. i can sense bad stuff going on:(
  16. P. Aaron

According to the BBC, over 200 deaths resulted from this Beauty Contest Protest!

It's just a Beauty Contest! If anything, the ratings, and ad rates for Miss World will probably go up. If not the security costs.
  17. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I dunno man... people probably thought the same thing during the Cuban Missile Crisis era...

Shall we judge fanatics by thier rhetoric or by thier behaivior?

Why not both?
  18. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    This isn't really about religion.

Religion is just being used as a pretext to achieve political ends.

It's been done many times, by many people , using many creeds.

The truth of the matter is, none of the major religions truly endorse this type of behavior.