Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Apr 19, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I am a 47 year old single male, never been married or engaged. Lately I've kinda stayed away from the singles scene as one more go thru the meat grinder is not attractive to me. I've never been one to search for one night stands, and I've always wanted to be married, but I'm basically not trying any more. After church a week ago sunday a bunch of us went out and one of the young ladies from the group approached me afterwards and said a friend of hers was asking about me, she latter called me with her phone #. It turned out to be someone I had gone out with about ten years ago and lost track of. I called her and arranged to meet her for dinner the following wed. (I'm not trying, but I'm not going to walk away from an opportunity either). Anyway she called Tue. night to cancel with a reason that sounded legitamate. I called her back Thur night, left a message, no return phone call, now I'm starting to remember her previous M.O. Anyway, I called her Tuesday and after a long conversation she tells me hows "shes really not looking for a relationship at this time". Well then, why the H$*@ did tell my friend she wanted to go out with me? Am I missing something here? I wasn't even looking and I got rejected!!!!! :help:
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I'm just gonna flog the dead horse here and remind you women are...eccentric.

The sooner you accept that fact, the better.

Hang in there.
  3. Can't hold their smoke...

Right in the jewels...
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

When you found out it was somebody you already dated,
    that was when you should have bailed.

The answer to your question is YES. Just ask any married guy!
  5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    This thread is now about Weird Science....

burk-women torment ALL men, and I suppose all men torment women, even though we don't know how or why. They also give us the greatest thing in the world. The problem is we always make sense to ourselves, and think the opposite sex thinks like we do. Someone should figure out a better way-like handheld male-to-female and female-to-male translators.
  6. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I'll keep it short, and sum up with this joke ..

Why do men die before their wives?

Because they want to.
  7. burk48237,

It's more that young lady's fault for telling you this girl was interested when she wasn't. She shouldn't have told you all that nonsense and given you the girl's phone number if she wasn't sure this girl was interested.

I've been there myself, so you're not alone. Last year an old college friend did a similar thing - she told me she wanted to set me up with one of her friends from work. So we both met at my friend's place for dinner, we seemed to get along well and I got her number. Made plans to go see some jazz on a Saturday night and the first time she canceled out on me, but offered to reschedule. That was a red flag, but I let it go because she did at least give me a raincheck. So the rescheduled date draws near and I call her on Friday morning to confirm that we're on for Saturday. She says yes, so far so good. That Friday afternoon she emails me (doesn't even bother to call me) to tell me she can't make it because she'll be 'too tired'. So I say no biggie, and call her to let her know I got the message. Of course, I never called her again.

I just have to wonder what my college friend was thinking in setting me up if it was going to lead to this ridiculousness.

So the answer to the question is yes, like others have said, but I'll add that it's a conspiracy of the entire female sisterhood. They're helping each other torment us men through their network...
  8. Some people (she) who were rejected in the past may in turn reject others now. (Misplaced aggression/revenge?) Rejection is part of life. It stinks, but so does a rainy weekend.

Waste not another minute on this. ;)

Good luck.

9. Sounds to me like you're far too negative for this to work out. If you're under the misconception that women are out to get you, then its very unlikely that you're going to go into a relationship completely open, willing to put your heart on the line. My two cents - 1) If you got to love like you've never been hurt and 2) you've got to love yourself before you can love anyone else. To be honest, you sound far too jaded to truly do either.

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm not quite sure how women got the nomenclature of "the fairer sex." It's like calling a badger the fuzzy-wuzziest creature in the woodland forest.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Couldn't have said it better myself. Women are nuts, plain and simple....complicated nuts at that.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Women - can't live with 'em, can't sell 'em for parts. :D

(Happily attached for 24 years to the same spousal unit...)
  14. I know how you feel. I'm almost 40, never married, but have wanted to be for years. Like you, I'm involved with my church, where you think you'd have a good chance of finding someone, but nothing's ever worked out for me. Space will not allow me to tell you all the stories I have that are similar to what you've related. It helps that I have my band and their support, but even that's tough sometimes. I'm the only one in the group without a spouse or girlfriend, and all of their significant others support them being in the band. Why I'm the only one who can't seem to find that is beyond me. I just have to trust that there's a higher purpose. Maybe I just need to focus more on my playing right now, and when someone finally comes along, she'll be worth the wait. :bassist: Hang in there, and if you're not playing bass in a really good worship band, look for one. Don't let playing with a bunch of young'uns stop you, either. My drummer and lead guitarist are young enough to be my sons. The guitarist and I are so much alike it's hilarious. Send me a message if you want to vent to someone who's been there (repeatedly). :rollno:
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Last I heard women were put on this earth to torment Brendan.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Quote's from Breakfast Club, but Weird Science > Breakfast Club, with A.M.H. telling an ever better tale of being kneed in the stuff :D.
  17. Ahh.. the fault lies entirely with me. Much like mixed metaphors or dangling participles, I mangled two "quotes" (neither of which are right) from two seperate movies.

As Carl the alien once said: "Sorry, my bad."
  18. i was told by a hooker the other day that i need to work on my social skills.

actually, she wasn't a hooker, but while I thought she was, I took pretty serious offense. I mean come on, hookers should be used to that, right?
  19. Did you ask her how much?