Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are WW heads worth the money?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Do they really sound that good? Is a 150w head worth $900.00? I know they are good for upright but what about a backup for electric?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    whats a "WW" head? ive never heard of them.

3. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    The answer is yes. Now go buy one. The fee for my answer is one WW head...so buy two. :D

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh , thanks neptoon.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Well Its debateable I believe given that a couple of amp companies (acoustic image and EA) are building mass produced PA clean uncolored portable amps that the market value of walter's line becomes more quetionable.

Walter's been building amps a long time and untill the previoly mentioned amps came out NOBODY else was building amps like that.

Then you can start debating hand built vrs mass built kinda like saying are foderas worth the money when a skyline lakland is 1/5 the cost.Is it 5 time better ? no way, but if you can afford them and thats what floats your boat?

I own a ww and I think its great but thats me

AJ

6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I presently own 3 of Walter's amps and have owned about 10 or more over the years. They are worth every penny!! I've owned SWR, Eden, Acoustic Image, Euphonic Audio(including the new iAmp800) and many more. All of these mentioned are good equipment, but the Woods has a quality of sound I did not find in the others and also it is very user friendly which has a lot to do why I like it so much. It is also EXTREMELY reliable!! Did I mention it only weighs 7 lbs.

7. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

I don't think so.I've played through a Walter Woods amp plenty of times,and I admit,they sound damn good,but I would NEVER pay $900.00 for ANY amp that only pushes 150 watts,no matter what the application.
    You can get a good,used Eden WT-800 for that and they sound as good as all the WW amps I've played through IMO.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Just cause now I can:spit:

AJ[​IMG]

9. I dont think power is even a question. Unless you play really really loud. Chances are you can just plug into a PA. I play through an acoustic image, and i dont even have to turn my volume up 1/3rd the way before people tell me to turn it down. You have to remember that bass, in most cases is a back ground instrument. IF you need a boost for a solo, thats what boost pedals, or the volume knob, are for. i think sound should be a priority for every bassist. If you get a walter woods high power amp, and an efficient cab, you shouldnt need more power, unless you want to end up deaf like pete townshend. So basically, when discussing WW amps, power is not a question, because they are not designed to run 8x10's.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    While this is true, there are many other scenarios where power is a huge factor and high volume isn't the only one. Inefficient cabs coupled with a 150w amp isn't exactly a recipe for success at moderate volume.

In my case, bass isn't a background instrument, it's a foundation instrument. Big difference;)

I'm sure the higher powered Woods amps could push SVTs just fine.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What Brad said.

12. Yes, but if you're gonna do it, go all the way and get an amber (700w) or blue (kw+) and you won't regret it.

[​IMG]
    My Amber LED WW

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Snail,
    I think the comparison of a Woods to an Eden is like apples and oranges! The Eden is MUCH bigger, considerably heavier, VERY colored, and mass produced. This is not to say it is not a good amp, but the Woods is a very different animal.
    A Woods is very transparent(too much for some), very quick transient attack, SUPER small and lightweight, and hand built by Walter himself. Also, if you ever need service, you ship your amp to Walter,(he'll be waiting in his pajamas for the Fedex guy he says!!!!) and you'll have your amp back in 3 days.......NO QUESTIONS! That to me is worth the extra money alone.
    Again, this is NOT a slam on Eden, as I have several friends that love theirs, just a comparison from a VERY happy Walter Woods owner.
    GEEK

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I agree while its far less colored than most amps its not flat.

In fact if I really wanted to make it happen I think the clarus sounds slightly better on upright.Someday.

With my Jazz I found the WW to be a little too uncolored so Id use a sans amp to warm this up but with my new fodera the pre in it has all I need.

AJ

15. Foundation, and background... Bassists dont get hired if theyre a foundation instrument in front of the vocals or solo.. I guess it all comes down to knowing how to play correctly with an ensemble.. ANd yes, many cabs need alot of power, or they arent that efficient, so a walter woods might not be the best amp for those situations, but ive heard them many times fill up an auditorium through a 115 or smaller, efficient cab... which is what theyre probably designed to do.

16. snailplow

snailplow Leon Phelps Wanna Be

Again,I agree that WW amps are great sounding amps,and I'm sure Mr.Woods offers outstanding service after the sale,but I still think he and some other "boutique" amp builders are getting carried away with the price tag.
    Most of the audience could care less,and wouldn't notice the difference between a WW,and a less expensive amp.Especially in the mix of a whole band.Their ears aren't "trained" to hear the difference like a G.A.S.ing gearhead's ears are.
    Is the WW ganna increase the amount you get paid for the gig,simply because it sits upon your cab rather than another good amp?
    If Mr.Wood's amps were less expensive,I might own one myself.I only take issue with the hefty price tag.

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My bass rig is for me, not the audience. If they like what they hear, cool. I have to like it first.

Are WW amps worth the money? Obviously yes... to the right person. They aren't for everyone.

I don't own one and probably won't unless I sneak up on a crazy deal. I'm perfectly happy with my BH-420 which I consider to sonically be it's equal.

18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I agree with Brad. YOUR sound is to make YOU happy. The soundman has the ultimate control over what your audience hears 95% of the time. Would I rather play through my Acoustic 360, SVT, or my Marshalls......hell yeah! I just don't want to carry that stuff anymore! I actually get more tone compliments with my Bergantino's/Woods combination than I ever got with the "cool" rigs.
    Just because I can justify the expense, doesn't mean that others can. Sure these are expensive, but have you priced Aguilar or Glockenklang lately! I'll take the 7.5 pound, 1200 watt amp anyday!!!!
    GEEK

19. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Brad,
    I can understand why you're happy with your BH-420. I just sold a Gibson GB-440(same amp) and it was a very good sounding amp. I liked it a lot. But it is not in the same league as the Walter Woods.