Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are yamaha RBX6JM john myung bass's good??~??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Impulsee, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I have been into Dream Theater for a while and I was considering buying the John Myung bass,the yamaha RBX6JM. Does anyone own one??~?? have pictures, sounds, reviews, anything??~?? I might buy one :hyper:

- w00t

2. RopStop

RopStop

Oct 5, 2003
    Don't buy a RBX6M because John Myung is your hero. Buy a bass you think that sounds good.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't like it at all, but I know many satisfied users.
    Then again, I'm not a 6 string player.

4. im not buying it because john myung is my hero. I mean...that was my insperation to look into one. But i found out that you can get them used for under 1k, and thats nice. I onyl play a fender jazz 4 right now, and was planning to get a warwick 5 or something. But i palyed 6'ers and they were really fun, and these looked and sounded nice, though I have never played one. but does anyone out there own one and have pics and stuff??~??

- w00t

5. Alright, since you bumped your own thread, I'll respond.

You should know that these were being heavily discounted by MF and the like and were going for under $700 before they were discontinued, although sometimes the only color offered was the icky magenta.

A lot of people didn't like them.

Do a search and you can find info on the new Myung prototype. IIRC, it had one magnetic pup and a piezo. When it will be out is anybody's guess. Maybe you should wait for January NAMM.

And yes, the prototype had the same funky swirley fretwood inlays, IIRC.

6. well another thing i liked was the cheap price.

- w00t

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There are other low priced sixes that I would get before the RBX6JM. Like a Peavey Fury, a Cort Curbow or an Ibanez BTB406.

Here is my impression of the JM model. Narrow string spacing. Narrower than an Ibanez Soundgear. Even though the neck is narrow, it has a very thick profile, much like a Warwick. Very heavy bass, and the body is so thick that the bass feels awkward to hold. And dull, lifeless tone from the pickups and preamp.

IMHO, there are much better buys out there. Two of the best bang for the buck used sixers are the Peavey TL6 and, if you like narrow string spacing, the Peavey Axcellerator 6. They both have much better tone than the JM IMHO, weigh less, and have faster necks.

8. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    FWIW, here is John's latest:
    [​IMG]

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I wasn't too impressed with it... I'd recommend something like an Ibanez BTB406QM.. Maybe look into a Carvin also..

10. i think im gonna get one :meh: i was offered a red one with a hardshell case for only 500. Idk, if i hate it, ill sell it or trade or something. right now, my only bass is a 4 string fender jazz and a coupel of the frets are buzzing. I'm getting that fixed, but i figure this will be a fun bass to mess around on. I have heard some mixed fealings on it, so I might as well jsut see how i like it.

- w00t