Are yamahs good basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by After Forever, Dec 7, 2003.

1. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    As said before i'm a rookie. When i first started playing back in Febuary i bought this new Yamaha for around 350/400$ because it was the only one in my price range that looked cool. Seeing how i didn't know the difference between good sounding and bad sounding basses at the time (and still don't really) it seemed like a good decision.

I must say i rather like my bass compared to other peoples i have dicked around with. My old roomates had a couple of cheaper basses one was fender, the other was something else. My friend roomate had this really nice ibanez as well. I tried all those and really didn't like them or the feel. Mabey it's just i'm used to mine and only mine, but i seem to be comfortable with this yamaha.

So as soon as i get a large amout of cash (probably 6 or 7 hundered$ or so) i would like to buy another, any suggestions, or should i try something else?
  2. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    First of all, I do believe that Yamaha's(Check your spelling) are great basses. A lot of great players use them exclusively (Nathan East, John Patitucci are who come to mind). Answering your question about getting a new bass soon, we need to assess what you want? How many strings? What sounds you like. You can get some pretty nice basses for $600-$700, depending on how many strings and if you are willing to be patient and buy off the used market. It will ultimately come down to you going and trying out tons of basses at a nice music store that has some nice basses and amps. If you are willing to go used and are looking for something in the 5 string range, i'd suggest looking at the Lakland Skylines. A 55-02 is a great bass (which is my main bass now). Another excellent value is a Peavey Cirrus 5 or 6. Getting a Cirrus 6 for $700 will be hard, but you might be able to get a used 5. I sold mine for $900, so it may be difficult. But those are definitely great basses. There are tons of great basses out there, you just need to figure out what you like and don't like in a bass guitar. Best recommendation is to go out there and try out as many bass guitars as possible before you decide what you want. And when you decide, buy them on the used market.
  3. You could always get a higher end Yammy.
  4. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Yamahas make quality basses, right from the low-end range to the TRB's and custom jobs.
    thing that suprises me the most is the sound, very modern, really damn incredible.
    they look great too
  5. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Speaking from the two Yammy's I own, they're great.

I own a BEX 4 (semi acoustic) and a BB604, both active and sound wonderful.
  6. That's because Yamaha is one of the largest instrument manufacturers in the world.
  7. fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I don't understand!! How company who produce motorcycles can make a good guitars.. that is nonsense ...
    I don't like Yamaha guitars, but motorcycles are GOOD :D
  8. You don't actually think that the instruments come off the same factory lines as the motorcycles, do you? That's a big company you're talking about, brother. They have the resources to employ knowledgeable professionals in just about any area they choose. I wish they'd take interest in kitchen appliances so I could get a decent coffee maker.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I feel that their lower-priced instruments perform remarkably well given their cost, however I think there are better options for one interested in their top-of-the-line models. They may be built very well, but in my opinion there are better tone-machines out there for less money. And the hissing preamp, is that replaced yet? I still prefer my Cirrus to the expensive Yamaha's, which cost 2-3 times as much!
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  11. lets not get into that discussion again! :p

anyways, i would have to say a resounding YES, yamaha makes some great instruments. i have heard a lot of mixed opinions about their lower end stuff (some love em, some hate em) but almost everyone agrees their higher end instruments (TRB and such) are world class. besides, if you're happy with your bass then thats all that matters! :)
  12. Zzounds and others had offered the TRBPII for about $1,000 less, which puts it in the range of $1,700. (Still too high IMO).

BTW, since we're talking about Yamahas, American Musical is selling John Myungs again, and cheaper than ever.
  13. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have owned a few Yamaha basses over the years; Trb6,BB5000,BB5000AF,BB3000 and I have always been impressed with the overall quality. I had a hiss issue with my TRB and I solved it by backing off on the gain trim pot in the control cavity. All of the basses I owned had very nice tone.
  14. There are two different schools of thought emerging in this thread.

One is this, posted by Oysterman:

The other is that the entire Yamaha range is outstanding, from the cheapies to the top-of-the-line TRBP series.

Personally, I'm with Oysterman. At the lower and mid price-points, Yamahas offer excellent quality and value. At the TRB and TRBP levels, the bang-for-the-buck is gone (not counting heavily discounted, close-outs from some stores).

At the top end, the differences between a hit and a miss become more subtle, and a large company like Yamaha is at a disadvantage over a smaller outfit that is better able to have its finger on the pulse of the bass playing community.

A camel is a horse designed by a committee. I shudder to think of how many persons must have to sign-off on decisions made in a company the size of Yamaha. (IMO, and FWIW, Fender has a similar problem. Both companies have problems adapting to a rapidly changing market. That's not to say that they don't sell a ton of instruments, though).

For the record, I think that the TRB and TRBP's are pretty nice instruments. But they come with price tags for what you can buy a custom bass.
  15. I bought a Yamaha RBX-170 a few weeks ago. It's the lowest of the low when it comes to Yamaha basses, but i'm quite happy with it. It sounds pretty good, and it has a P & J pickup so i can mix the sound around if i wan't. i was aslo quite happy with the price i paid for it ... though my parent's thought otherwise.

lol ...

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think Yamahas are underrated and overlooked too often. I've gigged the one below a few times, and it almost makes me want to leave my 55-94 home. Almost. The tone is delicious.

17. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    I love mine. I have a BB5000FL (Fretless 5 string). It's a monster. Really great construction, hardware and electronics, and it plays like whatever is smoother and sweeter than butter.
  18. having had yamaha instruments
    clarinets, saxes, flutes and piccolo
    i look forward to getting a trbII
    its not just the looks or design but the build and qc if they match the above wind instruments will be most welcome..
  19. Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    I'd have to say yes (I've got three!).

I've always been happy with the sound and the quality of their basses since I started using my BB1100S in 1990. I added a customised BBN5 in 1996 and a TRB5 in 2000 to my collection.

Good basses which hold up well on gigs (IMHO).