Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you a Gear-a-holic?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    inspired by joe....

Gear-a-holic intro for me: "Hi I'm mike and I'm a gearoholic in four years I've owned three guitars, 4 combos, 1 amp head, 1 preamp, 4 different cabs, and 3 effects boxes. I've spent over $5,685 on equipment and that makes me a gear-a-holic"

"God grant me the serenity to accept the tones I can't afford to change, courage to change the tones I can afford to change, and wisdom to know the difference between necessity and impulse."

p.s. no offense to any AA types present. may God grant you the strength to stay dry!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. Not me. Nossir. See profile. Not to mention all the Mackie, JBL, QSC, Aphex, dbx, ADAT, Tascam and other crud.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I would be gear-a-holic if i had the money - but even my Corvette 6's $1575 (approximatelly, it was 360 000 Hungarian Forint) took over 7 months to get together and after that I ran almost completely out of money - so all of m projects (like defretting myother bass and changing the electronics) and wish-lists (gee, I seriously need a better cabinet - thats asap now) are postponned to the uncertain future...

I can see that I am gear-a-holic by longing for a new bass even as my Corvette arrived only this month - and not to mention that I want a bigger amp and better cabs everytime I look at a rig that is better than mine (well, to tell the truth, my rig sucks, but for home practice its okay for now)

4. "Hi Mike!!"

Gear aholic here too. In the past 7 months I've gone through a combo, a head, 2 pre-amps, and 7 cabinets. I was running the bass through it's own pa for awhile, sounded great but my gf didn't appreciate us taking two vehicles to shows.

I'm still looking at new gear all the time. I wouldn't mind an Avatar setup. Maybe a SWR Goliath series. I'm still debating an Aguilar or Epifani rig.

I have major gas for an SWR Workingman's combo.

Make it stop !:bassist:

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had the wm-10, wouldn't go back, but the WM-12 (newone) sounds good to me, i like its tone better than the wm-15!!

I still would like to hear what a baby blue combo sounds like!!

6. Tight and clean, bass-shy but detailed. If you play fast flurries of notes, you'd probably like it, especially if you don't play too loud. Funny, it's billed as a studio amp, but they print to tape like crap.
    KFS

7. I want the workingman's combo mostly to use as a monitor for the drummer. I tried out a 15 at a nearby store about 30 min ago (lol), it was the older style...sounded good but man they want 700 for it.

I can buy another 2x10 and 1x15 (swr workingman's) for less then that. it's a n.o.s.

I'd also like to hear that baby blue combo!

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    yeah, i am a gear head. I have a whole room in my place dedicated to guitar and bass stuff. And I am only 18. I bought it all myself, which is amazing. I guess that's why I never have any money.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    6 basses, 6 guitars, 3 cabs, 3 heads, 1 guitar amp, WAY too many effects, PA system...yeah, I have way too much gear.
    I'm addicted. :bawl:

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Yes! Enough said
    :meh:

11. I too am a gear-a-holic. In the past 9 months I have bought 3 basses, 2 cabinets and one amplifier.

Fortunately now that I have my EA setup, I don't feel any need for a bigger or different amp setup and this has been the longest I've felt like this. I guess it comes down to the fact that all I want is an amp that amplifies the signal with minimal coloration. Heck, I don't even use the tone shaping on the amp.

Basses are a different story. I love the subtle variations between different basses. I will probably end off around 8 or so.

Geoff

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Huh? :confused: Are you kidding? :D

13. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Yes, I admit it, ..........I am a gearaholic.:bawl: I love to buy new stuff for bass. Even after I have just bought something, I am right back online looking for something else to buy. Last month it was an I.O.D., now this month it is a SVP-PRO . Next month? Who knows.:) I guess I wont be satisfied till I have one of everything.

14. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Im definatly one... Ive had more basses than i have had toothbrushes. Yep im an addict :)

Joe

15. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    Well folks, I don’t think you have a problem unless you start buying radio stations just so you can hear yourself on the air. A serious problem, if you were to buy TV stations to watch your band play. And you’ve got one hell of a problem if you bought a motion picture studio to make a music video.

Anyone needing a Radio station?

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'm guilty, 11 basses, 11 levy type straps, 3 skb cases, GK combo, GK RBH 1x15 cab, Boss gt-6b, digitech BP200, pandora's box, 4 bass stands, a dozen cables, two monster cables, maybe 3 shoebox's of strings, various wrenches and straplocks where needed all in the space of two years. Yes I'm pyrohr and I am a gear junky:cool:

17. haiku

haiku

Apr 6, 2002
    [marquee][​IMG][/marquee]

18. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    in the last year i've gone through an ampeg combo and 4x10 cab, then a mesa 400+ and a powerhouse 1000 cab and then a 6x10 cab, then an svt3 and an 8x10 and now i settled on an svt classic and an 8x10.

19. Yep. GAA member.
    I'm older that most of you and have had more years to buy and sell. Someday I'll make a comprehensive list of all my gear owned. Yikes! I prefer to call my constant quest of gear a passion though not an addiction. What else you going to spend your gig dough on, food-car insurance-utility bills-etc.etc.etc. ??? My wife is GREAT about it and actually is happy for me when she sees how excited I am with new stuff.

:bassist:

20. Yep, I'm hooked. I have a lot more nice gear than I need to make my music, and I continue to buy and sell stuff.

My wife has a good attitude about it. She'd rather have me home jamming with friends or practicing and having fun with music gear than hanging out in bars. She points out that our bank account was much more heavily impacted when I was buying and customizing bikes.

Now no mo' Harleys & chrome to maintain, just a rideable old stealth BMW that will live forevah.

Aloha,

Jonathan