Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you a guitar player, too?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Oct 10, 2002.

1. No, just bass for me.

19 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Yes, but I just get by...Bass is where it's at for me.

45 vote(s)
    49.5%
  3. Yes, and I'm about equally proficient at both.

24 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. Yes, guitarist by trade, bassist 'cause that's what I got stuck with in the band.

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Just wanted to see how many of you other TBers are also guitarists. If so, how proficient are you?

2. I am, but i like bass a lot better. i play bass about 85% of the time. I am actually pretty good at guitar (others tell me) and it is fun sometimes, but it's all about the bass

3. I only play bass , but ever since I started to play bass I can also play guitar ok (although I never played guitar before and i don't own one either)

4. I've played bass in every band I've been in. BUT, I play more guitar than bass at home. I actually have more guitar gear than bass gear. Also I find it an easier tool to write on. It's just easier to get bass gigs because there are a bizzilion guitar players out there and 'guitar players who play bass' just don't have a clue what to do most of the time!

5. I play bass more often than i play guitar, but i've recently taken up guitar lessons because i feel you can expand your knowledge of music on a guitar far better than you can on bass

thats Not True In All Cases!! just my opinion, and its workin out fine for me :D

guitar gets me boobies

6. I play guitar too, but went to bass because it was easier. :oops:

7. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I know a bit of guitar, I'm more of a drummer than a guitarist, but I'm way better a bass than either, it's my main thing. My dad is a good Blues Guitarist so I uh...."Borrow" his stuff sometimes. I'm kidding, I live with him, how am I gonna steal stuff in my house? Well, big stuff;)

8. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I play guitar when my bassist buddy comes over. We switch off sometimes though. I'm kind of okay at it, but I'll always be a bassist before I'm a guitarist.

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know few chords, my idea of guitar stardom is knowing few campfire songs to impress gals with.. So far I have House of the Rising Sun, perhaps some CCR next ;)

10. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I started playing guitar and bass at the same time. Kinda strange I know but oh well.

11. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    yeah i just gotta new guitar *grin*
    well about 3 weeks ago
    squier II strat. H/S/S config with a Dimarzio Super Distortion at the bridge.=D no floyd rose.. but locking tuners at least .. so its good... the two single coils.. are a bit weak but im replacing them in a few months with Hot Rails or else some Seymore duncan vintage singles =D
    I cant wait.. its antique sparkle white.. no pickguard.. alder body.. maple fretboard.. its pretty =D

sorry for braggin.. im just proud.. for 100 dollars you really cant get a better deal in my book..
    but i played guitar a little before bass.. but had no theory.. then i built up my theory while playing bass and its helped my guitar playing alot and im taking guitar lessons now ..
    Ive been playing drums for the past 12 years though.

12. I also play guitar. I started with guitar and sswitched to the instrment of my dreams, yup-.

13. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I started out on guitar and played that for about 10 years.... then I got into playing bass. i still play guitar, in fact i am getting a new guitar amp next week (Line 6 AX2). It has everything you would need, is relatively easy to use, and sounds great! I only have three guitars left, an LTD Explorer, an early 90's Washburn super-strat, and an Ibanez acoustic...

P@

14. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Yes, I play that OTHER instrument...I am much more particular about my bass tone than my guitar tone. I can pretty much plug into a POD and get a decent guitar sound, whereas my bass requires alot more attention to detail. Also my approach to playing guitar is bass-based i.e. lots of scalar melodies as opposed to chunky chording, and I prefer to play in a rythym/backing vein rather than a "soloist".

15. i still suck at the bass, why bother. i just means more asprin.

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Everybody knows that bass is only a kind of guitar, and if you can play guitar you can play bass. It's only a variation on the guitar for people that can't handle 6 strings.

:D :D :D :D

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I play fretted and fretless basses. I have borrowed a DB and made a tea chest bass for busking. I play various guitars in various tunings.

Jack of all trades master of none

18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Guitar, bass and drums....and I'm "equally proficient" at all of them...:rolleyes:

DD

19. What about drumming? I've found that since I've made an effort to play drums properly (as opposed to flailing about on our drummers kit) that it's had a very positive effect on my bass playing. Our drummer has also found that playing my bass gives him good ideas.

Now I just need to get my keyboard skills up to scratch and I can get to work on a cheesy solo project

20. True.. everybody knows that...