Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you a happy owner of a Yamaha TRB? Give some advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Nov 19, 2002.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi,
    I'm considering on buying a Yamaha TRB (5 string or 6 string - didn't decide yet) and I wanted to gather some opinions on this Yamaha basses and some comparison between the two of them.
    I heard that the 6 string version has a very wide string spacing... Is this true? Is it hard to play for someone with regular hands?
    And the overall sound? For what style do you use them?

Thank you very much for your time and attention!

2. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I own TRB-5 made '98. The bass has thin and wide neck and is easy to play and it's fast and easy to slap. My fingers are average length and I don't have any trouble playing it. I think the TRB6 has similar neck. Bass is well built and not too heavy.

Downsides are:
    - not too good B-string (a bit floppy)
    - stock pickups aren't great and they aren't easily replacable due to the weird pup dimensions, so upgrading isn't easy as on other basses

Overall it's not bad bass. It has wide range of sounds and you can play basically anything with it, but I think it sounds best in funk/rock even metal situations, but the bass is a bit too versatile - it has lots of sounds but only one, maybe two, are decent(at least for me). With TRB5 I spent too much time fiddling with the knobs trying to get decent sound while I was playing, over the time I got fed up with it and bought a Warwick. With Warwick you just plug in and sound good.

IMHO TRB5 is a nice bass but after 3 yrs playing it I think there are better basses in the same price range. If you like experimenting with sound and don't use B-string often I would recommend TRB but as I said there are other basses.
    I hope I helped.
    Good luck!

3. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Thank you alot, 8_finger, for your post!!
    You have been very helpful...

Does anyone else has anything more to say about this issue?

Regards.

4. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    I use to have a TRB6. The B string wasn't great, but usable. The neck felt really good, very fast. I sold the thing because of the tone. I didn't care to much for the highs and it didn't have enough mids for my taste.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you have to realise that there have been many versions of the TRBs over the years with very different specs and features - neck-through , bolt-on piezo bridges etc etc.

I owned an old original TRB6P which was neck-through and had piezos in the bridge - great bass. Very wide neck but very flat as well so I had no problems - easier than say a Warwick for me.

I have also tried the new TRB6P and TRB5P and these are again excellent basses - Jamiroquai's bass player Nick Fyffe is using one currently.

But they are very different from the TRB6 IIs - with bolt-on necks and slab bodies - not so good, but still a reasonable bass.

6. I have the TRB 6 and TRB 6JP (John Patitucci Signature). I find both basses to be virtualy identical except the JP has a nice quilted maple top and a flamed maple neck with an ebony fingerboard and nice inlays.

Soundwise, I like these basses very much (there is no difference between the sound of the two basses). First, you can get a variety of sounds from them from phat P-Bass sounds to cool bass synth sounds to midrangy jazz bass sounds to jazz guitar sounds. I play a lot of solos in the upper register on the C and G strings and really like the way they sing. I'll agree the B string is not the best but I have learned to get a good sound from it in the lower octave and just avoid the upper octave. I play a lot of tunes on the C and G strings over open B, E or A strings (very cool). The pre-amp and tone controls are good and offer a good ability to fine-tune the sound.

Playability, I find the basses very good. I have an older model of the TRB 6 which has the same string spacing as the TRB 6JP (the newer TRB 6 has narrower string spacing). Because I also play a Fender four string (highly customized fretless) I prefer that the string spacing of all of my basses be the same. The TRBs are the same spacing as the Fender. The neck is pretty wide but thin and I find it easy to work with.

The six is so versatile, I think it is good for any application.

I recommend them to anyone willing to put in some time to get to know one.

Cheers,

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

To te original poster :

Don't confuse the TRB6P with the TRB6JP. (Easily done! ;) )

So the former is neck-through with piezos and the latter is bolt-on with normal pickups.

8. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    What do you think???

I know that a TRB6IIP would be a much better bass, but I cannot afford it....
    On the other hand, I think that you can't find a better 6 string bass for 1200 € (1200 USD).

What do you think??

Thank you all for your time!!!
    Regards!!

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just visited that TRB6-PII today ... list:$4,300, sale $1,799! This is the one that looks just like my TRB5-PII/. Also a blue TRB-4 brand new for $599, and an amber TRB4-II for $599.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Burgie

Burgie

Jul 15, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I have a TRB5 II I got back in '99, and I've had no complaints other than I wish it were more punchy--Mine is a bit muddy and 'fat'-sounding for my taste. Plus,I tend to like that Warwick sound that cuts through nice and growly. (but that's just a personal taste issue, like many things seem to be).

Other than that, it's solid as a rock, stays in tune (I tend to be one of those guys who beats the strings), and has a very wide range of EQ possibilities. I've recorded 4 CDs with it, 3 full-band, one just me and an acoustic and vox. The thing has served me well on each occasion.

Good luck!