1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are you a "last minute" or "get it done early" sort of person?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jul 21, 2012.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Pretty self-explanatory, really. Do you fit into either of these categories? And if so, why? Is it strategic, or just part of your personality? I'm mainly talking about work here, but it applies in other parts of life, too.

2. Duke21

Duke21

Nov 14, 2010
    Narvik, Norway
    I like to be prepared, in most aspects of life. Maybe it is sickness from 3 years army service..... :)

3. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Although I have a bit of OCD and am methodical about any task (work or home)... I am very much a LAST MINUTE man.
    Procastination runs deep.

But I reach every deadline. Perhaps that motivates me. I plan to start last minute, but when I start I work hard and thorough, and fast.

4. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That sounds very similar to the way I do things.

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    And you're also an annoyance to your co-workers, family and friends because of this?
    Because I sure am. :)

Also I find it that putting stuff of until the last minute can often be positive. If the task changes somehow (for example you're doing something for a customer and he changes his mind... or your boss changes his organization), you won't have wasted effort.

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Yes, I think I am, too - to the ones who don't get it. I think there's a tendency in all of us to rate people highly when they have similar strengths to our own and under-estimate those who do not and whose strengths lie in different areas.

7. I am exactly the same way... Although i would say i am pretty OCD.

If something has to be done i do it, but if i can get away with doing it the next day i will...

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Because I have a tendency to procrastinate I force myself to get things done immediately. I hate to be late, hate to be unprepared.

9. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    In a strategic teaching conference I went to, the speaker proposed that many procrastinator are in fact perfectionists. They would put too much effort/time by starting in advance a project. So they get as late as possible in order to work faster and they accept an inferior result (often its still a pretty good performance) knowing that it is good enough considering the time they put into it. They avoid some pressure and failure that way.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, I might have much more OCD than I led on to. But the strange thing is that I am really messy. My workplace and home look very chaotic. But I have a very good memory and have a system for everything. I just don't care for cleaning up. (Except for dirty stuff, I am very hygenic but I don't store anything away properly.)

While family, friends or co-workes work more tidy, if I ask for for example a document they had been given last week they can't even remember gotten it and/or how they filed it.

11. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Hmmm, interesting. This may describe me I guess.
    It's a bit of a defeatist attitude I guess. ???
    And if the project happens to be of superior result you feel great because you were more apathic about working on it.

12. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    Not really, I cannot do the theory any justice as I would have a hard time translating it. The speaker was insisting on the fact that kids are always motivated, either to succeed or either to avoid their perception of failure.

13. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Sorry, maybe not the description "defeatist". I don't think we really have a word for that in dutch (or at least in common practice).
    I meant being happy with mediocre results.
    Or as you describe it a different perception of failure. A perceftionist might view a mediocre result as failure while a procastinator (not mutually exlusive with perfectionist though) might think that same mediocre result is succes when he/she factors in the effort.

14. Etienned

Etienned

Jul 16, 2010
    Montréal
    I think I understand, the person ends up accepting a performance that is under his abilities.

Still, in the real world, it's very rare that the best result is required, we settle for "optimal given the input" more than otherwise.

15. wow. I think we've had a break through doctor!

16. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Not to make this about me, but I am in business and am lucky to often have achieved optimal results and beyond. (Otherwise I would have been out of business already.)
    Maybe this is before I do anything I think long and hard about a given project. And research a lot about it. The thinking process isn't wasted time for me.

However I only start a project if I already have all the nuts and bolts and enough know-how. I hate having started on something, then do so much alterations or cancel a project all togheter, or have the project literally fail.

That's why I am a last-minute guy. Once I started something I see it through through the end.

17. Get it done ASAP. Or the guilt eats away at me.

18. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Last minute. Every time. I convince my self that I "work best under pressure", then panic and fret that I wont meet my deadlines. I then swear on all that is holy that next time I won't leave things so late...until the next deadline looms!

This has been my modus operandi for as long as I can remember, the irony being that I am perpetually drumming into my students how important it is to be organised and prepared in order to avoid a last minute panic.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I prefer early when I am in control of the project. Unfortunately, I work with a few people who are of the last minute mentality, so I find myself scrambling to wrap up my part of a project quite a bit. It is frustrating, but I work through it with no problems beyond a little stress for that day.

-Mike

20. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Well, since I'm counting all my bass rig, PA and outboard interconnect cables into my cables case now - 3 hours before I even have to leave for tonights gig - I guess I'm one of the get it done early kind.