1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are you a martial artist? And more

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by artistanbul, Apr 26, 2003.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    After the style without style thread I wondered if the bassists are not only bald (or extremely long haired) and big people but also actually martial artists. So yeah, that's the question.

-Do you have any martial art training?
    -How long have you been training?
    -Which MA have you been training?
    -Do you plan on training in another ( or first in case you have no training ) martial art.
    -Are you bald or long haired.
    -Are you big. ( I mean proportionally, whole, as in body :) )

So thats about it. Heres me:

-Yeah. I've been training in aikido, later on branched in aikibudo for a total of 5 years. And wing tsun and escrima for 8 months. I am planning to learn some serious judo especially for ground and choking technics. I am bald and big. AND bearded to boot.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "I don't know karate, but I DO know ka-razy!"

brad cook

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I used to but bailed out after blue belt :/

My dad runs his own club, it's been going for about 6 years and has around 25 students per session.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

-yes
    -off and on over ten years
    -Uechi Ryu, Aikido,
    -yes, Arnis, Ba Gua Zhang
    -shaved head
    -yep, big in general (and I'm currently a bit too fat)
    (yes, everything is proportional. ;) )

5. 1. Yes I do, in Tae-kwon-do and Karate, I bailed Tae-kwon-do after purple belt and Karate after yellow.
    2. I did Tae-kwon-do from age 10 to 13, then I went into Karate at age 15-16.
    3. See #1
    4. No, I don't
    5. I have medium hair at the moment (trying to grow it long)
    6. Im 6'2, 190 pounds, But I got puffy nipples and a beer-belly, so not really.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I trained kickboxing for couple years, but I decided to take a break from it couple of years ago due a year in the army and stuff, so I'm quite rusty at the moment. Dunno if it's officially "martial art" though, perhaps more like a street brawling sport :p Not that I know any kickboxer who is a brawler, but the whole sport has bit of a poor reputation amongst the more 'fancy' martial arts.

I've never been interested in learning how to choke people or anything, for me it was just a nice workout, which is why most of the guys get into it anyways. Well, you got to hit and kick people, that's a definite plus ;) - but nothing makes you drip sweat like an hour and a half of semi-contact sparring and bashing the sack. I've been considering to start training it again since I'm in quite poor shape at the moment.

Oh, and I'm not bald or long-haired, but I do have a small beard, perhaps that should be on your list too? I'm bit on the larger side too, at 6'1", broadchested and with few lbs of extra on my waist, but I wouldn't exactly call myself big or muscular.