Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are you a martial artist? And more

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by artistanbul, Apr 26, 2003.

1. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    After the style without style thread I wondered if the bassists are not only bald (or extremely long haired) and big people but also actually martial artists. So yeah, that's the question.

-Do you have any martial art training?
    -How long have you been training?
    -Which MA have you been training?
    -Do you plan on training in another ( or first in case you have no training ) martial art.
    -Are you bald or long haired.
    -Are you big. ( I mean proportionally, whole, as in body :) )

So thats about it. Heres me:

-Yeah. I've been training in aikido, later on branched in aikibudo for a total of 5 years. And wing tsun and escrima for 8 months. I am planning to learn some serious judo especially for ground and choking technics. I am bald and big. AND bearded to boot.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "I don't know karate, but I DO know ka-razy!"

brad cook

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I used to but bailed out after blue belt :/

My dad runs his own club, it's been going for about 6 years and has around 25 students per session.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

-yes
    -off and on over ten years
    -Uechi Ryu, Aikido,
    -yes, Arnis, Ba Gua Zhang
    -shaved head
    -yep, big in general (and I'm currently a bit too fat)
    (yes, everything is proportional. ;) )

5. 1. Yes I do, in Tae-kwon-do and Karate, I bailed Tae-kwon-do after purple belt and Karate after yellow.
    2. I did Tae-kwon-do from age 10 to 13, then I went into Karate at age 15-16.
    3. See #1
    4. No, I don't
    5. I have medium hair at the moment (trying to grow it long)
    6. Im 6'2, 190 pounds, But I got puffy nipples and a beer-belly, so not really.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I trained kickboxing for couple years, but I decided to take a break from it couple of years ago due a year in the army and stuff, so I'm quite rusty at the moment. Dunno if it's officially "martial art" though, perhaps more like a street brawling sport :p Not that I know any kickboxer who is a brawler, but the whole sport has bit of a poor reputation amongst the more 'fancy' martial arts.

I've never been interested in learning how to choke people or anything, for me it was just a nice workout, which is why most of the guys get into it anyways. Well, you got to hit and kick people, that's a definite plus ;) - but nothing makes you drip sweat like an hour and a half of semi-contact sparring and bashing the sack. I've been considering to start training it again since I'm in quite poor shape at the moment.

Oh, and I'm not bald or long-haired, but I do have a small beard, perhaps that should be on your list too? I'm bit on the larger side too, at 6'1", broadchested and with few lbs of extra on my waist, but I wouldn't exactly call myself big or muscular.